You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-22 01:08:47

Kebertx

[SOLVED] Gnome and GDM giving me issues. Will you help me?

I have only followed the instructions given me by the good wiki. Now I come to you via elinks to ask for some help.
I installed: gnome, gnome-extra, xorg-xinit, xorg-utils, xorg-server, xorg-server-utils, gdm, dbus, ang all the xf86 drivers relevent to my computer. I edited rc.conf, so gdm and dbus are listed under daemons. D-BUS works on startup. GDM does not. For a better idea of what was going on I entered "sudo /etc/rc.d/gdm start"

/usr/sbin/gde-binary: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/gde-binary: undefined symbol: g_cclosure_marshal_generic

No clue what that means or how to fix it. Would appreciate help.

Other than that, I am also unabel to start a gnome-session in any way. "xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session" loads the default background, and I get a cursor, then it blacks out and says
"[SAD COMPUTER IMAGE]
Oh no!
A problem has occured and the system can't recover. Please logout and try again." Logging out is the only option.
I am able to start an openbox-session in this way, but it won't load any application other than gnome-terminal. I do have others in the ob menu installed, like firefox, but it doesn't work.
Anyways, I also tried copying .xinitrc to my home folder, uncommenting "exec gnome-session" and taking out the if//fi block (The wiki told me to!). After that, startx gives me the exact same result.

So. No GUI. I really could use some help. Thanks in advance in case I get it! Can't copy/paste, but I'll take my time typing any info anyone would find useful.

Last edited by Kebertx (2012-01-22 07:25:56)

#2 2012-01-22 01:19:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome and GDM giving me issues. Will you help me?

First, can you check your DAEMONS array in rc.conf to make sure dbus is before gdm.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-01-22 07:21:21

Kebertx

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome and GDM giving me issues. Will you help me?

Problem solved. I took gdm out of rc.conf, and uncommented it in in /etc/inittab. Then reinstalled glib2. After that it worked like a charm. Some warning message about wicd not starting D-Bus something, but I can deal with that later. Now typing in Chromium instead of elinks. Mission accomplished. Thanks community!

Board footer