You are not logged in.

#26 2012-01-20 23:42:03

ninian
Website

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

Some suggestions, and maybe just one bug:

1) File list context menu: would 'Edit' submenu be more aptly called 'Actions'?
2) Could there be a preference for case-sensitive ordering of folders and files names?
3) Would a 'show hidden files' (toggle) button on the Left & Right Toolbars be more user-friendly?
4) In the Find Files results window, would it be possible to sort the data by clicking on a column header, eg. Size?
5) In the confirmation dialog for deleting files, would it be possible to state how many files are selected? (In other file managers, has saved me from disaster on a few occasions when I didn't notice that another file was selected down the file list, out of view.)
6) (May be bug) If I use Design Mode to allocate a key shortcut to the file context menu item 'Open / In Panel / Next', the key is displayed against the menu item but it doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by ninian (2012-01-21 22:29:15)

#27 2012-01-21 13:47:37

kgas

--changing the preference option requires it to write in /etc/sapcefm. It is better to keep them in ~/.config/spacefm

--trash folder is the future request if not asked earlier. Is there a way to configure key board short cuts (Ctl+h to hide and unhide dot files )

Last edited by kgas (2012-01-21 13:55:56)

#28 2012-01-21 22:36:25

hasufell

kgas wrote:

Is there a way to configure key board short cuts (Ctl+h to hide and unhide dot files )

`right click` -> view -> `middlecklick` Hidden Files -> Key -> `hit ctl+h`

#29 2012-01-22 12:06:32

kgas

hasufell wrote:
kgas wrote:

Is there a way to configure key board short cuts (Ctl+h to hide and unhide dot files )

`right click` -> view -> `middlecklick` Hidden Files -> Key -> `hit ctl+h`

Thanks, hasufell

#30 2012-01-22 14:50:39

Cloudef

I see you added the window title customization. Thanks a lot, It's perfect GTK file manager now smile

#31 2012-01-22 17:05:34

the.ridikulus.rat

How do I disable "go back dir" in double click? And whenever I open a new tab using CTRL+T I want to open the tab in th same dir as the previous tab, not my home dir. How?

#32 2012-01-22 21:32:24

hasufell

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:

And whenever I open a new tab using CTRL+T I want to open the tab in th same dir as the previous tab, not my home dir. How?

there is "new tab" and "new tab here"

have a look...

Last edited by hasufell (2012-01-22 21:32:38)

#33 2012-01-22 21:52:29

tri1976

In addition to show custom command based on filetype, I think it is also useful to show custom command based on folder name.  For example, show "restore" command only if the folder name is "trash".

#34 2012-01-23 13:47:41

IgnorantGuru
Website

Šaran wrote:
IgnorantGuru wrote:

Re 3, Thanks for letting me know about that.  Do you use these buttons just to go back and forward, or are you thinking of some other function?

Just back and forward. I think it would be best to make btn 4 & 5 bindable in design mode without modifier key.

Buttons 4 and 5 should now work in 0.5.5.  But I don't understand your comment about bindable in design mode.

Also, Alt+Left/Right click goes back/forward, providing openbox or another wm isn't using these (openbox does by default).

#35 2012-01-23 13:59:54

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

Some suggestions, and maybe just one bug:

1) File list context menu: would 'Edit' submenu be more aptly called 'Actions'?

You should rename it that - this is part of the interface design.  Customize as much as you want to give it the right look and feel.  As for a default, almost all items on that menu are verbs, while Action is a noun.  I try to make the menus form readable phrases.  For example: Open > In Panel > Next.  The Edit menu was tricky though, and I tried several positions and names for it.  spacefm doesn't have an Edit menu in the menu bar (because that bar mostly applies to the window context, not the panel), so I think Edit works pretty well as a default.  Act or Do could also work, but are very general (they apply to anything).

> 2) Could there be a preference for case-sensitive ordering of folders and files names?

Sort alternates are something that's on the list of things to consider.

> 3) Would a 'show hidden files' (toggle) button on the Left & Right Toolbars be more user-friendly?

I don't know how much people typically toggle this setting so hard to say.  Adding a toggle button involves coding some of it manually, but it could be done.  I do intend to add a few more toolbar items to the design list so I'll consider this.

> 4) In the Find Files results window, would it be possible to sort the data by clicking on a column header, eg. Size?

Of course it's possible. smile   The Find Files window is very underdeveloped in general - except for some bugfixes it's mostly straight from legacy pcmanfm.  We'll see what 'develops'.

> 5) In the confirmation dialog for deleting files, would it be possible to state how many files are selected? (In other file managers, has saved me from disaster on a few occasions when I didn't notice that another file was selected down the file list, out of view.)

Good idea - I added this in 0.5.5

> 6) (May be bug) If I use Design Mode to allocate a key shortcut to the file context menu item 'Open / In Panel / Next', the key is displayed against the menu item but it doesn't seem to work.

corrected in 0.5.5.  If you notice any more of these broken keys just let me know.  Thanks for your input!

#36 2012-01-23 14:08:56

IgnorantGuru
Website

kgas wrote:

--changing the preference option requires it to write in /etc/sapcefm. It is better to keep them in ~/.config/spacefm

spacefm asks your permission to write a few settings to /etc/spacefm in order to protect you from root exploits.  This is optional - if you cancel at the password prompt it won't ask again unless you change the terminal or root editor again.  However, allowing this is recommended.  This protects your root account when running built-in root commands from a normal user instance.  Saving these in ~/.config/spacefm is ineffective.

--trash folder is the future request if not asked earlier

Because spacefm has no dependencies on gvfs, this may not happen.  But I haven't looked at the code for this (there is some of it in there already) and I may do so, but it's not a priority right now.  You can also add a custom command to do this however you like.  If your solution is portable you could export it as a plugin and share it.  (I see there are already people searching google for 'spacefm plugins' because my blog gets the search hits, but there are no offical plugins yet).

Thanks for your feedback.

#37 2012-01-23 14:12:41

IgnorantGuru
Website

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:

How do I disable "go back dir" in double click? And whenever I open a new tab using CTRL+T I want to open the tab in th same dir as the previous tab, not my home dir. How?

I may make the double-click an option but currently there is no way to disable it (when you double-click on a blank area of the file list, it goes up).  And as hasufell said, you can assign ctrl-t to New > Tab Here

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-01-23 14:13:06)

#38 2012-01-23 14:17:53

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

In addition to show custom command based on filetype, I think it is also useful to show custom command based on folder name.  For example, show "restore" command only if the folder name is "trash".

Thanks that's a good thought, and I am seeking ideas on custom context now because I am considering how to implement it.  So now is a great time to bring forward any thoughts on how this could work.

#39 2012-01-23 18:11:11

ninian
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

... If you notice any more of these broken keys just let me know.  Thanks for your input!

Many thanks for all your replies to my suggestions (everything is reasonable), and for all the latest bug fixes in 0.5.5.
I've given a little bit of publicity to SpaceFM on the Linux Format (magazine) forum and there have been quite a few views, but no replies yet.
Onwards and upwards with SpaceFM!
smile

#40 2012-01-23 20:14:06

pogeymanz

Are there any plans to be able to browse network shares?
Would that pretty much require gvfs and are you morally opposed to making it an optional dependency?

#41 2012-01-25 01:44:07

tri1976

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Thanks that's a good thought, and I am seeking ideas on custom context now because I am considering how to implement it.  So now is a great time to bring forward any thoughts on how this could work.

Can you use regular expression for custom context?  For example, "*" always show command, "*.txt" shows command for "/tmp/textfile.txt", "*/trash/*" shows command for "/home/user/.local/trash/some_file".  If white space is clicked, shows command for context that match folder path

#42 2012-01-25 01:57:37

tri1976

Set edit script by default instead of executing it doesn't work.  I right click on the script, open, choose..., highlight the text editor, check "set as default", and click ok.  I double click on the script and it still execute instead of open in text editor.

#43 2012-01-25 19:24:58

hasufell

sry to post here, but i cant login at sourceforge atm

whenever i save a file with vim/gvim it disappears from view. I have to reload view or save it again for it to appear. That does not happen with leafpad for example.

Any1 else got that issue? It's a bit confusing sometimes.

#44 2012-01-26 02:33:40

tri1976

IgnorantGuru wrote:
kgas wrote:

--trash folder is the future request if not asked earlier

Because spacefm has no dependencies on gvfs, this may not happen.  But I haven't looked at the code for this (there is some of it in there already) and I may do so, but it's not a priority right now.  You can also add a custom command to do this however you like.  If your solution is portable you could export it as a plugin and share it.  (I see there are already people searching google for 'spacefm plugins' because my blog gets the search hits, but there are no offical plugins yet).

I don't know how to make a plugin (yet) but I have this script that I use to move file to trash....maybe you will find it useful.

#!/bin/bash

icon="/home/tri/icons/trash.png"
trashcan="$HOME/.local/trash"
max_size=1000000000
d="%fs%"

function usage() {
cat << EOF
Dependencies: yad

Usage:
  -h|--help|--usage|--info     print this message
  --empty                      empty everything in $trashcan
  --restore filepaths          restore selected files to it original location
  filepaths                    move files to $trashcan

When a file is move to the trashcan by this script, the directory indicator forward slash is converted to "$d".  This is necessary if one want to restore the file to its original location.

Author: trile7 at gmail dot com
EOF
exit
}

[ $# -eq 0 ] && usage
mkdir -p $trashcan
case $1 in
  -h|--help|--usage|--info) usage ;;
  --empty) rm -rf $trashcan/* ;;
  --restore)
    shift
    for i; do
      f=${i##*/}
      f=${f//$d/\/}
      if [ -e "$f" ]; then
        yad --center --on-top --window-icon $icon gtk-delete --button gtk-no:1 --button gtk-yes:0 --title "Confirm Overwrite" --text "$f existed.  Do you want to overwrite?"
        [ $? -eq 0 ] && mv -f "$i" "$f"
      else
        mv "$i" "$f"
      fi
    done ;;
  *)
    for i; do
      [[ $trashcan = ${i%/*} ]] && continue
      s=(`du -bs "$i"`)
      if [ $s -gt $max_size ]; then
        yad --center --on-top --window-icon $icon gtk-delete --button gtk-no:1 --button gtk-yes:0 --title "Confirm Delete" --text "$i size is greater than $max_size.  Delete permanently? \n<b>No</b> will move it to trash"
        ret=$?
      else
        ret=1
      fi
      if [[ $ret -eq 0 ]]; then
        rm -rf "$i"
      elif [ $ret -eq 1 ]; then
        cd `dirname "$i"`
        f=${PWD//\//$d}$d${i##*/}
        mv -f "$i" $trashcan/"$f"
      else
        exit $ret
      fi
    done ;;
esac

Last edited by tri1976 (2012-01-26 02:38:37)

#45 2012-01-28 19:13:33

tri1976

For "copy name", "copy parent", and "copy path", can you also copy the text to primary buffer so that it can be paste with middle mouse click.

#46 2012-01-28 19:42:18

tri1976

Another feature request....I remember pcmanfm has a hidden feature that if you press ctrl and click on any part of the path in the address bar, it will take you to that folder.  For example, if you're in "/usr/share/applications" folder, press ctrl and click on "usr" on the address bar, it will take you to "/usr" folder.  Is it possible to implement this feature in spacefm?

I don't mean to double post but I created a few tickets for my bugs/requests on sourceforge so that you can keep track of them easier.  Thanks.

Last edited by tri1976 (2012-01-28 20:34:30)

#47 2012-01-30 12:35:08

myrlin

I've just installed spacefm, and thinks it's terrific.  I would switch to this as my default file manager right now, except for the lack of a "Trash" (including "Restore") facility. Spacefm will never pass the "wife test" without it!

I don't know how much people typically toggle this setting...

I use this all the time.

Fantastic project!

#48 2012-01-31 20:45:01

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

I've given a little bit of publicity to SpaceFM on the Linux Format (magazine) forum

It's not so easy to get new software out there so thanks for dropping some links.  I always feel a bit silly advertising free software, but I also know that without a little bit of noise people just aren't aware of what may be a useful tool for them.  The 'new GTK2' retro aspect will also probably keep this less mainstream (people are more excited about gtk3 stuff now), but that's expected.

#49 2012-01-31 20:51:56

IgnorantGuru
Website

pogeymanz wrote:

Are there any plans to be able to browse network shares?
Would that pretty much require gvfs and are you morally opposed to making it an optional dependency?

Most gtk apps do this via gvfs.  I'm not fond of gvfs but I don't have any morals.  smile  If it were an optional dep then I might consider it, but this isn't a priority for now.  I'm also more inclined from a security perspective to keep a file browser off the network - spacefm makes no network connections and that's another reason fam was removed.  These file browsers turned network browsers are like using a web browser to manage local files - it doesn't provide much of a boundary between local and network.  I realize clouds are all the fashion but linux is already riddled with enough security problems IMO, so I'm not sure spacefm will ever do this.

Also note that you can create custom commands to mount network shares intelligently, etc., so that might be a workaround to explore.

#50 2012-01-31 20:54:13

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

Set edit script by default instead of executing it doesn't work.  I right click on the script, open, choose..., highlight the text editor, check "set as default", and click ok.  I double click on the script and it still execute instead of open in text editor.

Please see this, which is probably your report.

Board footer