You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-23 14:40:52

fowler

Other udev problems on boot after kmod update...

I looked for a similar issue in the forums but I don't see any... so I get the following warning when I boot with udev:

Mon Jan 23 09:18:49 2012: :: Loading User-specified Modules    [BUSY] udevd[347]: RUN+="socket:..." support will be removed from a future udev release. Please remove it f

Any ideas?  Can I provide any other useful information?

#2 2012-01-23 16:15:40

byte

Re: Other udev problems on boot after kmod update...

find /etc/udev/ /lib/udev/ -name '*rules'| xargs grep -l 'RUN+="socket' | xargs pacman -Qo

Try to find an update for that package, or post a bug report.

#3 2012-01-23 17:18:16

fowler

$ find /etc/udev/ /lib/udev/ -name '*rules'| xargs grep -l 'RUN+="socket' | xargs pacman -Qo
/lib/udev/rules.d/90-hal.rules is owned by hal 0.5.14-6

I guess that means I should uninstall hal since it is deprecated?

#4 2012-01-24 15:11:45

lagagnon
Website

I get the same error, however I don't think I can uninstall hal because it depends on "ivman" which in turn uses "consolekit" which I require for my .xinitrc "ck-launch-session dbus-launch wmii". Is there any way around this mess?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#5 2012-01-24 15:18:27

Gusar

I'm not sure, but I think there are successors to ivman out there that don't require hal. Or you'll have to switch to some other device manager, like say udiskie or something.

But just to be clear, there is no "mess" here. HAL has been declared deprecated a long time ago. While it did receive some patches last year, so it's not completely unmaintained, adjusting it to use libdev instead of a socket seems like a big change, so big that I doubt it'll be made. Kinda shame, I still use hal too, but this was bound to happen sooner or later.

And another thing: For now this is just a warning, not an error. But that future that the message mentions will come, so use the time until then to find another device manager.

#6 2012-02-09 01:53:10

tarun.hellknight
Website

Getting the same error here. I was thinking of removing HAL but the Arch Beginner's Guide mentions that hal should be present in the daemons section of the rc.conf file. I'm really confused regarding this subject.

#7 2012-02-09 02:04:51

karol
Archivist

tarun.hellknight wrote:

I was thinking of removing HAL but the Arch Beginner's Guide mentions that hal should be present in the daemons section of the rc.conf file.

Link please.

#8 2012-02-09 03:06:14

hleung
Website

HellKnight,

I haven't put hal in the list of daemons in /etc/rc.conf, and I've never got any problems.  I ran into this "warning message" (since it's not really an error but a reminder) because I did install HAL recently for SynCE.  I just removed HAL, and I can confirm to you and to everyone here that I don't have that "message".

As for SynCE, well, I guess I'll try to get my hands on ActiveSync to work with Wine.

Everyone has their own belief, and that belief becomes their own religion.
My bible = "Rapture for the Geeks wink" by Richard Dooling

Board footer