You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-20 22:56:46

nexist
Website

Jpilot cannot find Zire 31on USB port

Hello:

I have updated my Archlinux distro, & installed JPilot (20 March 2005).  I have verified that the Zire connects through the forward USB port on my Windows partition, however I cannot figure out how to configure the settings to allow JPilot to connect. 

Can anyone help, I would hate to have to boot into Windows just to back up my data.

#2 2005-03-21 13:19:40

incinerator

Re: Jpilot cannot find Zire 31on USB port

RTFM, especially the section about "Serial Port Setup"

Also, that website may help, the knowledge there should not be to difficult to adapt to jpilot.

#3 2005-03-21 15:54:46

nexist
Website

incinerator wrote:

RTFM, especially the section about "Serial Port Setup"

Also, that website may help, the knowledge there should not be to difficult to adapt to jpilot.

I did 'RTFM'  I tried USB ports 0-3.  None worked.  Hopefully the website you reference will be more helpful.

#4 2005-03-21 17:36:03

incinerator

Well, it did for me, but of course ymmv.

#5 2005-07-29 21:44:48

arch_mike
Website

Heres what i did to get mine working ( JPILOT version 0.99.7 )
i have a palmos Zire31

i had to unplug my usb cable from the 4 usb port hub at the front of my pc connected to /dev/tts/USB0 /dev/tts/USB0 is connected to the 4 port usb hub,
i had to put it in the back of the pc and plug it into /dev/tts/USB1 ( /dev/tts/USB1 and /dev/tts/USB0 are usually the 2 usb plugs on the back of your pc ) then after i ran this command as root
A)         #ln -s /dev/tts/USB1 /dev/pilot

* now if you get a  #ln -s /dev/tts/USB1 /dev/pilot
             ln: `/dev/pilot': File exists *
all you have to do is

B)             #rm /dev/pilot
this just removes the link to the old port no worries
then just run command A) again ^
now you will want correct premissions  wink

C)            # chmod 0777 /dev/pilot
now this should give your normal user premissions to access the sync function of your palm pilot

Now you have to open jpilot

goto
File >> Preferances >>  Settings >>
now where it says " Serial port (/tty/SO, /dev/pilot)
replace it with this line
--->    /dev/tts/USB1

(note that /dev/tts/USB1 is the usb plug in the back where i put it , now if yours is diferent
you can see where you need to mount it by running the following  # ls /dev/tts/ , finding the correct port is trial and error 8)  )

then click done in the settings menu
now after you press the sync button in JPILOT , you also need to hit the hotsync button on your palm pilot at the same time then voila your jpilot is working wink

any questions send me pm , and ill help you out as much as i can 8)

<Insert>

#6 2005-07-29 21:46:05

arch_mike
Website

incinerator sometimes Reading the F***ing manual doesnt help , sometimes programs arent well documented and alot of people arent pc wizards either  lol

<Insert>

#7 2005-07-29 21:58:55

iBertus

You could always write a udev rule that would make something like /dev/zire instead of /dev/tts/USB0-1 when syncing. That would make configuration easier for some programs. I believe there are some good links for examples floating around the forums.

#8 2005-07-30 12:00:09

big_gie

I made a udev link in /dev/pilot for my Zire 21.

The order of thing you need to do is quite contradictory in docs. Everywhere, in all program and on the palm, it ask me to plug it, start the program and press the hotsync button. But that doesn't work since the udev link will be created only AFTER you pressed the hotsync button...

So you need to plug it, launch the program (don't start sync yet!), press the hotsync button on the palm, then start de sync via the program.

Here is my udev rule:

BUS="usb", SYSFS{serial}="PalmSN12345678", NAME="%k", GROUP="pilot", OWNER="nicolas", SYMLINK="pilot"

Be sure to change the "owner" and group and also the "SYSFS{serial}".

Good luck!

#9 2005-07-30 12:00:58

big_gie

I made a udev link in /dev/pilot for my Zire 21.

The order of thing you need to do is quite contradictory in docs. Everywhere, in all program and on the palm, it ask me to plug it, start the program and press the hotsync button. But that doesn't work since the udev link will be created only AFTER you pressed the hotsync button...

So you need to plug it, launch the program (don't start sync yet!), press the hotsync button on the palm, then start de sync via the program.

Here is my udev rule:

BUS="usb", SYSFS{serial}="PalmSN12345678", NAME="%k", GROUP="pilot", OWNER="nicolas", SYMLINK="pilot"

Be sure to change the "owner" and group and also the "SYSFS{serial}".

Good luck!

#10 2005-08-21 19:08:15

arch_mike
Website

nice post , erm posts  lol

<Insert>

Board footer