You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-25 15:00:27

Firestone

[pm-utils] Hibernate resume gives black screen, suspend fixes it

I have a problem with resuming from hibernating on a Thinkpad T60.

When I resume my laptop after hibernating, the screen "hangs" on the end of the resuming. That is, the screen is black, with the text in the upper left corner on how far the resuming has progressed. The cursor, however, can be seen and operates normally, even showing the different cursor symbols, such as being on a text field or on a menu. The laptop itself is fully functional, from directly operating it to remotely accessing it. I just can't see anything, except for a working mouse cursor.
The same happens when I hibernate from a cli, without running X, although I don't see a cursor then of course.
I discovered that the issue can be solved with a suspend after the resuming. Then, when I resume from suspend, I have a fully functioning laptop again, including the screen.

I think it may have to do with my Intel gpu, the i915, but all info I find are on older kernels.
I tried playing with hooks, specifically the resume and autodetect hook, but to no avail. I also tried understanding the difference between the pm-hibernate and the pm-suspend script. As the suspend script works, shouldn't that mean that one of the lines of code it uses to resume, is missing in the hibernate script?

If I look at the code of the pm-action script, I can see that the only difference is that hibernation uses the thaw hook while suspend uses the resume hook:

case "$METHOD" in
    suspend*)     ACTION=suspend;   REVERSE=resume ;;
    hibernate)     ACTION=hibernate; REVERSE=thaw ;;
    *)        echo "Cannot happen.  Please file a bug against pm-utils."
            exit 1 ;;
esac

log "$(date): Running hooks for $REVERSE"
# run the sleep hooks in reverse with the wakeup action
if run_hooks sleep "$REVERSE $METHOD" reverse; then
        log "$(date): Finished."
else 
        exit $((r+1))
fi

Any thoughts?

#2 2012-01-25 13:09:27

MAC!EK

Re: [pm-utils] Hibernate resume gives black screen, suspend fixes it

Did you found the solution for this problem?

I got the same issue and managed to fix it. Usually I use ThinkPad T60 with LCD connected via DVI and hibernation/thaw was working fine. But when I checked using only ThinkPad screen I got the same problem. Thaw didn't seem to wakeup the laptop screen properly, suspending and then resuming helped.

I managed to fix the problem by setting KMS for my Intel GPU following instruction on Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … Setting.29

Short instruction:
1. Adding  MODULES="intel_agp i915" to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
2. Rebuiling initramfs: mkinitcpio -p linux
3. Reboot and try hibernate/thaw

Board footer