You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-26 15:48:52

Czarcasmo

[SOLVED] Cinnamon "standalone" and Window Appearance

Hello!

With the release of the 1.2 version of Cinnamon, I set out to install it on a test system to test memory, looks, etc. I installed the base system, X11, xf86-video-intel, gdm, and from the AUR I installed cinnamon, cinnamon-extensions-git, cinnamon-themes-git, and cinnamon-system-monitor-applet-git.

I can log into Cinnamon, but I have two annoying issues and I fear I am missing something obvious. The first is that I cannot seem to find a way to change the background. It is a minor issue, but something other than a solid blue background would be lovely. The second issue I am running into is that the window decoration/looks appear like basic X or Windows 3.1 looks (grey borders, blue title bar). Are there Gnome packages I need to install to have it look like the "default" Cinnamon look (http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/tmp/blog/119/themes.png)? I tried installing gnome-shell to see if any of its dependencies would satisfy what I am looking for, but it did not and I promptly executed a pacman -Rs.

On the upside, after firing it up it appears to only use 100-110MB of memory (although it grew to ~170MB overnight just sitting there; dunno why). I can deal with that.

Also, if screenshots are requested, I cannot do those until this evening as I am asking this question from work.

Thank you in advance.

Czar.

Last edited by Czarcasmo (2012-01-27 14:46:30)

Laptop: Lenovo X1 Carbon, Core i7 2.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, Gnome 3.16

#2 2012-01-26 19:58:31

mandog

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon "standalone" and Window Appearance

Cinnomon is only a shell you need Gnome3 to use it then log in to Cinnomon with gdm. you are better off using the cinnomon-git packages from AUR as you get the latest version with all the tools install all the git packages  you then get the complete setup and its very good but nothing you can't do with gnome shell. By the way the complete Gnome set up ways in at 130mb  of ram on my laptop Cinnomon slightly more. You also need dconf-editor and gnome-tweak-tool as well.

Last edited by mandog (2012-01-26 20:03:36)

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#3 2012-01-26 20:11:06

Czarcasmo

Mandog,

I will give this a shot as soon as I get home. Thanks for the advice/knowledge!

Czar.

#4 2012-01-27 01:42:10

Czarcasmo

Mandog,

I followed your advice and it fixed the window problem. Although I must admit I didn't install everything. I only installed gnome-control-center, gnome-desktop, gnome-keyring, gnome-panel, gnome-session, gnome-settings-daemon, and gnome-themes-standard. Doing that seems to have fixed the issues I was having.

Thanks for getting me going in the right direction!

Czar.

#5 2012-01-27 13:44:02

mandog

My pleasure
I'm glad that helped you now you can install what you need keeping it to a minimum

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

Board footer