You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-27 16:40:26

ANOKNUSA

Consolekit Complaints and Mounting Volumes [Solved]

Howdy-ha, all.  First, please accept my apology for starting yet another tedious post on such a mundane (or at least common) issue. See, while working in any environment other than either KDE or GNOME, I'm unable to mount any volume not listed in fstab; I receive the "Not Authorized" error message when I try, either through a file manager or using bashmount.  Mounting volumes manually seems to work alright.  I've spent the better part of a week trying to find a solution (though the problem has existed for longer), to no avail.  I have "ck-launch-session dbus-session" in ~/.xinitrc, and I've tried reversing the order of those commands.  For whatever reason, "ck-list=sessions" returns

Session1:
	unix-user = '1000'
	realname = ''
	seat = 'Seat2'
	session-type = ''
	active = FALSE
	x11-display = ':0'
	x11-display-device = '/dev/tty4'
	display-device = '/dev/tty1'
	remote-host-name = ''
	is-local = FALSE
	on-since = '2012-01-27T16:18:45.476137Z'
	login-session-id = '1'

which doesn't jibe at all with the output I should get; whether this behavior is the source of the problem or another symptom, I'm not sure.  I've taken a quick look through the udev page as well,  but nothing pertaining to this issue really jumps out.  I really don't have the need or desire to auto-mount any external volume.  To be frank, I'm not sure how high the priority on this issue is, as I was planning on changing my dual-boot partition scheme this weekend (moving Win7 from an SSD to HDD, since  Windows I/O isn't as easily controllable as that in Linux), so reinstalling wouldn't be a huge issue; I was just hoping to clone the partitions to avoid reconfiguring the whole system--and besides, it's tedious to make backups if I can't mount my external hard drive. hmm  Thanks for all feedback in advance.

EDIT: I don't think I should have to mention this, but just in case: using GNOME or KDE isn't a solution, and would rather not use a display manager.  In any case, using GDM to launch WMFS doesn't solve the issue; mounting only works when I use GDM to launch a GNOME session.

Last edited by ANOKNUSA (2012-01-29 21:31:08)

#2 2012-01-29 13:13:01

swordfish

Re: Consolekit Complaints and Mounting Volumes [Solved]

ANOKNUSA wrote:

I've spent the better part of a week trying to find a solution (though the problem has existed for longer), to no avail.  I have "ck-launch-session dbus-session" in ~/.xinitrc, and I've tried reversing the order of those commands.

Have you already tried it with

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session openbox-session

in your .xinitrc?

And do you use any login manager? I had a similar problem while using XDM. It turned out, that i had to remove the "ck-launch-session" paragraph from .xinitrc because the new XDM 1.1.11 has built in support for consolekit.

Arch_x64 on Thinkpad Edge E520 (Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD) + ITX-Desktop (Asrock H77M-ITX, Intel Core i3-2120T, 8GB RAM, 64 GB Samsung 830 SSD)

#3 2012-01-29 14:19:43

stryder

If I were you I'd focus on getting those two "FALSE" to turn "TRUE". For me that was because I used the "boot-to-X" autologin method. Once I go back to using "startx" to start my X sessions (boot-to-console autologin), everything was OK.

#4 2012-01-29 21:30:31

ANOKNUSA

@stryder, swordfish: Thanks for your replies.  I found that adding "--exit-with-session" to ~/.xinitrc does the trick, but only if I log out and log back in.  I was starting X automatically, and removing the pertinent string from ~/.bash_profile fixed the issue.  I'll just have to put up with the extra half-second of boot time, I guess. tongue Thanks again to both of you; I'll mark this one as "Solved."

Board footer