You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-29 12:22:28

javex

[solved] Creating a Star Wars font collection package for AUR

Hello,

I am not quite sure if this is the right forum as this is about to be my first contribution to the AUR.

No what concern me most are license issues:
While they are all free to download, that doesn't necessary mean redistribution is also allowed.
Now there are some fonts I want to package. On the one hand those are the typical star wars fonts as you know them (found here) and the Franklin Gothic familiy (most importantly "Demi" found here).

Now I know software comes with a license and so do fonts and images also have one. But I wouldn't even know who I needed to contact if I want to redistribute those fonts. The Franklin Family seems to be widely used and I can find out who the typographer was, but I cannot find any licensing information. What does that mean? Is anyone font expert enough to tell me if (and how) licensing with fonts differs or what to look for?

Thanks in advance,
javex

Last edited by javex (2012-07-29 14:22:22)

#2 2012-01-29 13:11:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [solved] Creating a Star Wars font collection package for AUR

I am certainly not an expert - but I know you wont need to worry about all of this as you will not be redistributing the fonts.

You will be distributing directions on how to download the fonts.  This is just like making a blog entry saying "look at this great font you can freely download at <link to font owner's site>".  It's also just like your links in the above post.

PKGBUILDS are just like this sort of blog entry - just more to the point with less commentary.  You would not upload the fonts to any AUR server - just the instructions for other users to go get them from the 'owners' site.

You will need the appropriate license in the PKGBUILD.  The StarWars font page lists it as "Freeware" which would go under license.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-01-29 17:49:57

javex

Wow, thanks, that helped me a lot.
I just had to find a site, that doesn't have captchas and now it works like a charm!

#4 2012-01-30 01:15:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Actually, that depends very much on interpretation. But I agree, for freeware it should not be a problem. In case it MAY be problematic, you could just remove any download links and leave the PKGBUILD for convenience (see the recent discussions in the ML and these forums on pseudo-abandonware)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-01-30 13:36:03

GordonGR

Trilby wrote:

You will need the appropriate license in the PKGBUILD.  The StarWars font page lists it as "Freeware" which would go under license.

What do you mean? There is no ¨freeware” in the license package.

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3400 @ 2.60GHz, x86_64. AURs.

“No one without the knowledge of geometry may enter.“ Plato.

#6 2012-02-26 19:41:29

josephg

GordonGR wrote:
Trilby wrote:

What do you mean? There is no ¨freeware” in the license package.

And what is "freeware" license? There are a thousand different freeware licenses.

Last edited by josephg (2012-02-26 19:41:45)

Board footer