You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-30 15:44:09

Kaliwal

Data Transfer from a semi-corrupted HDD -PROBLEM. [SOLVED somehow]

Hey there,

I really need some help.

I have an old Dell Latitude D 510 laptop. It was working fine untill recently when it crashed. It had Windows 7 installed on it. Repeated attempts at repairing the windows installation failed. It wont simply boot. I took it to local computer shop where they told me that the hard disk had bad sectors in it and they would have to format it completely. I didnt want this because I have very precious data on it.
I took the hard disk with me and tried connecting it to my desktop which has Arch installed on it and arch did show me the contents of the disk, which leads me to my question:

When I plug the disk into the USB using and IDE to USB cable since its an IDE HDD, it is recognized. I mount it, and when I click on it it shows "Scanning..." in the status bar of the disk window. The scanning completes after 20-30 minutes. Anyway I wait, and then start to copy the files I need to another disk - Problem is, even a small file takes much longer time to be copied/ transfered to desktop PC.

1) Is there any way to do it faster?
2) Is this really a bad sector problem if even HDD Regenerator "breaks"

At least - any idea how can I solve my problem and get the files?
Regards.

p.s Not all partitions are mounted, however. I tried it on a friend's laptop running Ubuntu 10.10 and it was slow there too. yet all partitions were mounted and could be opened.

Last edited by Kaliwal (2012-02-01 14:59:33)

#2 2012-01-30 17:02:21

masutu

Re: Data Transfer from a semi-corrupted HDD -PROBLEM. [SOLVED somehow]

Just a general advice: if your HDD is seriously damaged, i would stop trying to get your data that way (mount the device, try to copy etc.). You'll get an increasing probability of loosing/damaging your data. Instead try to use ddrescue, dd_rescue or similar tools to get an image of your device/your partitions, then try get your data out of the images.

#3 2012-01-31 15:24:31

Kaliwal

Re: Data Transfer from a semi-corrupted HDD -PROBLEM. [SOLVED somehow]

Thanks masutu. I tried testdisk and was able to recover 95 % of data from two of the four partitions. However I am having problem with at least one partition, which appears empty even with testdisk. I was unsure about usage of ddrescue so I didnt try that.

I get this error when trying to mount that partition:

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 21: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read first NTFS_BLOCK_SIZE bytes of potential restart page.
The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read vcn 0x0: Input/output error
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read vcn 0x0: Input/output error
fuse: mount failed: Device or resource busy

Last edited by Kaliwal (2012-01-31 15:26:47)

Board footer