You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-31 21:44:14

jholbrook

Thinkpad T420 freezes when using FN keys to change brightness

Had to reinstall Arch on my laptop. Now when I click on the FN+HOME (Brightness UP) or FN+END (Down) buttons the laptop locks up solid.

My other FN keys seem to work fine although some are not defined properly.

I've looked at the logs  and searched everywhere with no luck in figuring out why it's doing this. I'm sure it's something really simple but I'm stumped.

Not sure what information you need so I'll provide what I can....

From the Laptop article in the wiki I have "acpi_backlight=vendor" in my menu.lst file. I tried removing it but then my laptop hangs during bootup on loading udev.

My DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf:
DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng netfs dbus acpid alsa lightdm hdapsd wicd crond)

MODULES:
MODULES=( thinkpad_acpi tp_smapi hdaps thinkpad_ec vboxdrv )

I know this laptop has the Nvidia Optimus setup but I only have the Nvidia card enabled (which gives me really sucky battery life).

# lsmod | grep nv
nvidia              12066843  33
i2c_core               20492  3 i2c_i801,nvidia,videodev
nvram                   5869  2 thinkpad_acpi

Any ideas?

#2 2012-01-31 22:01:11

Hspasta
Website

Re: Thinkpad T420 freezes when using FN keys to change brightness

I have a T420 and The blacklight controls worked for me out of the box without any configuration. Did you try these additional things because it didn't work out of the box?

Last edited by Hspasta (2012-01-31 22:02:27)

#3 2012-01-31 22:47:16

jholbrook

Re: Thinkpad T420 freezes when using FN keys to change brightness

Hspasta wrote:

I have a T420 and The blacklight controls worked for me out of the box without any configuration. Did you try these additional things because it didn't work out of the box?

Not sure what you mean by 'additional things' but I hadn't tried using the brightness functionality until just recently when I noticed the problem.

Some of the other modules, etc are so that I can do things like have the automatic hard drive parking enabled, etc.

Board footer