You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-28 23:38:24

Dethredic
Website

[Solved] Can't select(highlight) with mouse in XFCE terminal

I use openbox, and I prefer the XFCE terminal. I did a system update last week and since then I haven't been able to select (highlight) text. This is extremely annoying as I can no longer copy stuff.

I checked in packages and the xfce terminal application didn't change recently so it must have been something else. Unfortunately  it was a large update so I can't point to a specific package or two that might have caused this.

Any ideas as to how to trouble shoot this? I would prefer not switching applications.

Last edited by Dethredic (2012-02-01 23:57:26)

#2 2012-01-29 00:51:50

David Batson

Re: [Solved] Can't select(highlight) with mouse in XFCE terminal

I'm not an expert, but this sounds like a crash in the X server to me.  You might look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues.

#3 2012-01-29 01:44:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Not to recommend switching as a solution, but have you tried similar terminal apps to get more data-points to troubleshoot?

Try out other gui'd terminals that copy-paste in a similar manner.  LXterminal or Terminator should not have many (if any) additional dependencies, so they should be hassle-free to try out even if you don't have either installed yet.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-01-29 02:17:59

Dethredic
Website

David Batson wrote:

I'm not an expert, but this sounds like a crash in the X server to me.  You might look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues.

This is only a problem with "terminal". I looked in that log and didn't see anything related to that program.

Trilby wrote:

Not to recommend switching as a solution, but have you tried similar terminal apps to get more data-points to troubleshoot?

Try out other gui'd terminals that copy-paste in a similar manner.  LXterminal or Terminator should not have many (if any) additional dependencies, so they should be hassle-free to try out even if you don't have either installed yet.

They both work as expected. Its not even copying / pasting its being able to select / highlight / marks stuff.

#5 2012-01-29 02:29:50

Dethredic
Website

I looked at the pactree and non of the programs that are near the root were updated recently either

#6 2012-01-31 01:58:06

Dethredic
Website

anyone?

#7 2012-01-31 03:00:47

David Batson

I use XFCE and have no problem highlighting text in Terminal.  Been about a week since I did any updates though.  Currently on a cellular internet connection and don't want to use up my data quota for the month.

#8 2012-02-01 13:26:59

Dethredic
Website

Could you try an update when you get a chance? I'm assuming it some weird configuration issue I have.

#9 2012-02-01 17:13:16

mumpf

I have done a pacman -Syu today and no problems to mark and copy text in Terminal 0.4.8 (xfce 4.8).

#10 2012-02-01 23:56:46

Dethredic
Website

I fixed this by removing .config/Terminal/terminalrc

The problem was in the setting "ColorSelectionUseDefault=FALSE". Apparently I was able to select / mark text the whole time, it was just in a color that was invisible with my color scheme.

Last edited by Dethredic (2012-02-02 00:19:38)

#11 2013-11-09 14:14:20

bluesm

If you use xfce Terminal. You could have "Background color" the same as "Text Selection color".  Use "default color" to be sure that "selection will be visible"

Select  Edit -> Preferences -> Colors -> Text Selection

NOTICE: Here I have Background Color exactly like the Selection color, so you have to change it !

ScreenShot:
Screenshot of color editor

#12 2013-11-09 14:29:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

bluesm, wecome to the forums.  Please check out the forum guidelines to 1) be aware of post dates - this thread is over a year and a half old and was already solved; necrobumping is discouraged, and 2) note the image size restrictions.

edit: forum etiquette link

Last edited by Trilby (2013-11-09 14:31:31)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#13 2013-11-09 15:32:12

ewaller
Administrator

Hi Bluesm,  And welcome to Arch Linux.   Thanks for a relevant first post, even though (as Trilby points out) this is an old thread.  Allow me to expand upon this a bit.  The reason we discourage reviving old posts is because things change so fast in Linux.  What may have been a solution a year ago may not be the best practice today.  Likewise, old problems symptoms may have are similar to new problems that have similar symptoms.  Mixing solutions to different problems that happen to have the same symptoms quickly turns into a confusing mess.

I am not saying that any of that is true in this case.  Having said all that, again welcome, and thank you for your post.   I am going to go ahead and close this thread, only because it is so old.  If you would like to continue in this vein, please feel free to open a new thread and link back to this one.

Thanks. smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer