You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-03 15:34:56

nornn

using lprng instead of cups

My problem is that I cannot use cups to print on the office printer.  I have in the past used lprng to print on our hp laserjet 5SiMx but to no avail have I been able to connect using cups.  I would like to uninstall cups and install lprng but arch will not let me.   For example,  pacman -S lprng
:: lprng conflicts with cups. Remove cups? [Y/n] Y

Remove:  cups

Targets: lprng-3.8.22-1

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n] Y

checking package integrity... done.
error: this will break the following dependencies:
  cups: is required by samba
  cups: is required by kdelibs
  cups: is required by gimp-print

upgrade aborted.
or this if I do not try to remove cups

pacman -S lprng
:: lprng conflicts with cups. Remove cups? [Y/n] n

error: package conflicts detected

Could somebody help me or suggest another or perhaps there is a apsfilter package for archlinux?

thank you thank you very much.

#2 2003-12-03 16:05:45

sarah31
Website

Re: using lprng instead of cups

unfortunately lprng requires a bit of work on the users part to maintain. my setup is a bit simpler than yours and i only need to recompile libgnomeprint without cups support. for all that packages that require cups you would have to recompile without cups.

you can remove cups first using pacman -Rd cups this removes cups but leaves the packages that are dependent on it intact.

i really wish lprng was a more supported alternative to cups but it is not and as such requires the user to rebuild certain packages.

i did make lprng versions of most of the printer stuff such as ghostscript, a2ps, gimp-print, etc but i did not do so with other packages such as kdelibs, samba, etc.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-12-03 17:17:59

nornn

Thanks Sarah.

I compiled lprng in /var/abs/unofficial/daemons/lprng/ using makepkg -c and had the package lprng-3.8.22-1.pkg.tar.gz that I eventually installed using pacman -A -c lprng-3.8.22-1.pkg.tar.gz which meant that I had to uninstall all the dependencies cups samba kdelibs gimp-print kdebase ghostscript kdeaddons kdeadmin
          kdeartwork kdebindings kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdemultimedia
          kdenetwork kdepim kdesdk kdeutils gv

Reinstalled kde with pacman -S -d kde and pacman -S -d samba and then pacman -S -f a2ps-lprng ghostscript-lprng gimp-print-lprng psutils-lprng
for all of lprng packages now that I have finished with that I was wondering if I could use printtool or lprngtool to setup my /etc/printcap for my remote lpr unix at work.

thank you thank you very much.

#4 2003-12-03 17:51:10

sarah31
Website

well i don't see why you could not use either to setup your printcap.... except there are no packages for either in the repos that i know of. you can check the TURs and if not then you will either have to make a package for either/both (preferable then they could be used by others) or compile them yourself.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-12-17 22:49:14

drivingmsjuki

Lately I've been trying to accomplish the same kind of thing .. my daily-use computer is a laptop that travels to work sometimes, and we needed to have it print to the network print queues there. CUPS just didn't work - we tried all kinds of combinations of things.

LPRng did not work either - at first. I tried copying over /etc/printcap, any printer settings, and the /var/spool/lpd/* hierarchy from a RH9 machine there (already using LPRng) but that didn't work.

This afternoon, just for kicks, I tried printing to it this way:
[guest@spanky]$ cat outfile.txt | lpr -P sales@192.168.16.5
(with sales being the queue name and the IP our server)

.. and it worked!

So instead of having LPRng running its own local queues and waiting for jobs to fall into them, this just invokes lpr on an as-needed basis to pass the job to whatever queue on the network. I deleted the whole /var/spool/lpd/* hierarchy, /etc/printcap, and this method still worked.

All we had to do after that was make sure that all the apps that needed to print (OpenOffice, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Acrobat) all used that kind of printer string.

Hope this helps you. smile

Board footer