You are not logged in.

#51 2012-01-31 20:55:46

IgnorantGuru
Website

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

hasufell wrote:

sry to post here, but i cant login at sourceforge atm

whenever i save a file with vim/gvim it disappears from view. I have to reload view or save it again for it to appear. That does not happen with leafpad for example.

Any1 else got that issue? It's a bit confusing sometimes.

This behavior should be improving in the next few releases - I'm still tuning the inotify code.  FYI this is probably because vim deletes and creates the same file within one tenth of a second.

#52 2012-01-31 20:58:01

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

I don't know how to make a plugin (yet) but I have this script that I use to move file to trash....maybe you will find it useful.

Thanks.  Just so you know, creating a plugin is as simple as selecting Export from the design menu.  So if you have your script setup as a custom command script in spacefm, that's how to do it.

#53 2012-01-31 21:01:28

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

Another feature request....I remember pcmanfm has a hidden feature that if you press ctrl and click on any part of the path in the address bar, it will take you to that folder.  For example, if you're in "/usr/share/applications" folder, press ctrl and click on "usr" on the address bar, it will take you to "/usr" folder.  Is it possible to implement this feature in spacefm?

This has been added to 0.6.0 - I didn't know pcmanfm did that!

#54 2012-01-31 21:10:20

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

> 3) Is there some way to flag or colour the active pane or tab?

0.6.0 adds a number of things to help with this, so you can see how that works for you.

Also, as I explained in the announcement, I discovered that themes can have quite an impact on both UI appearance and performance.  Clearlooks made spacefm run very sluggishly compared to the custom theme I usually use, which is very fast.  With a few panels open, spacefm has more widgets than most gtk apps usually handle.  Also, after trying a few themes I see that some did make it much more difficult to tell which panel was active.  My theme lights up selected files when the panel is active, which is why I didn't think much about it.  So I recommend experimenting with themes (you can specify a theme just for spacefm as I explained here.

And unrelated, Style > Context is now available for testing in 0.6.0.

#55 2012-01-31 23:46:53

ninian
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:
ninian wrote:

> 3) Is there some way to flag or colour the active pane or tab?

0.6.0 adds a number of things to help with this, so you can see how that works for you.

Great! Will look forward to testing all of 0.6.0's new features ... but I'm afraid I'm getting a segfault trying to change the highlight on the status bar. If I run SpaceFM with a fresh (or old) configuration, right-click the status bar, choose Highlight Bar, I get the colour chooser window okay. After setting the colour I click OK and ... bang. (No other messages except the segfault appear in the terminal.)

One thing I mean to ask earlier was how backward compatible SpaceFM is with the different versions of its 'session' configuration file. The more I customize SpaceFM, the more nervous I become about this with each release! It would be good to know of any configuration changes which would cause trouble between versions ... or should I get busy with Meld?!

smile

#56 2012-01-31 23:49:59

hasufell

ninian wrote:

but I'm afraid I'm getting a segfault trying to change the highlight on the status bar.

confirmed

#57 2012-02-01 00:25:04

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

Great! Will look forward to testing all of 0.6.0's new features ... but I'm afraid I'm getting a segfault trying to change the highlight on the status bar. If I run SpaceFM with a fresh (or old) configuration, right-click the status bar, choose Highlight Bar, I get the colour chooser window okay. After setting the colour I click OK and ... bang. (No other messages except the segfault appear in the terminal.)

Unfortunately I had some trouble with gtk's color chooser.  I thought I had stabilized it but apparently additional bugs are active on other distros or setups.  I'll take another look - I was expecting trouble and it didn't disappoint.  Officially I can't recommend this, but you could set the color in the session file by adding these lines:

status_border-s=#f39fcf811063
status_text-s=#f67ce34f12a5

That's yellow in case you can't tell.  smile  Six digit (html style colors) should work too.  Just be very careful editing that file because it's not designed for editing - it's more like editing computer memory than a config file.  Back it up first and also make sure spacefm isn't running during editing.  Or if you don't want to get into that, I hopefully will have a fix for the segfault soon.

One thing I mean to ask earlier was how backward compatible SpaceFM is with the different versions of its 'session' configuration file. The more I customize SpaceFM, the more nervous I become about this with each release! It would be good to know of any configuration changes which would cause trouble between versions ... or should I get busy with Meld?!

This is a good question because it was no small task to have an almost completely user-customizable menu system, while at the same time I am changing the built-in menu items, default keys, etc., and adding new functions.  It is designed to handle this gracefully, but you're right to be careful.  I've been using this for months (pre-release) with heavy dev and I haven't lost or broken a configuration yet, which is a promising sign.  I do recommend backing up the dir ~/.config/spacefm/ before each upgrade - that's where all the money is.  Spacefm also keeps the last and prior-to-last session files for you, so if there's any problem be sure to grab them before running it again.

With the 0.6.0 upgrade, the only thing to be careful with is that if you add context to menu items, then run a version of spacefm prior to 0.6.0 and it overwrites the session file, the context info will be lost.  Same for the colors and new status bar settings.  But it should otherwise read the session file from a future or past version okay.

As for changes to the menus, keys, etc, it's pretty flexible but do let me know of any issues.  For example, the default key for terminal is now F4, but you won't even see that unless you start without your session file.  But if I add a default to an item that had no previous default, and for which you didn't set a key, then you will see the new default.  Your settings always override new changes, unless I do a config translation to address a particular change (that's what the 'config_version' value in the session file is for).

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-02-02 18:04:50)

#58 2012-02-01 00:39:11

ninian
Website

@IgnorantGuru:
Many thanks for the swift and comprehensive reply. Makes things much clearer regarding the configuration too.
On with the testing now!
wink

#59 2012-02-01 00:46:57

IgnorantGuru
Website

With the 0.6.0 upgrade, the only thing to be careful with is that if you add context to menu items, then run a version of spacefm prior to 0.6.0 and it overwrites the session file, the context info will be lost.  Same for the colors and new status bar settings.

On second thought, I think the colors and status bar settings won't be lost in that example.  The context will though, as it involved a new data structure in the session file which will be ignored by versions prior to 0.6.0.

#60 2012-02-02 18:06:41

IgnorantGuru
Website

spacefm 0.6.1 will hopefully correct the color chooser crash - if not I added some debug info to stdout.  Also the vim update issue should be resolved with the latest changes to the directory monitor code.

#61 2012-02-02 20:44:55

hasufell

IgnorantGuru wrote:

spacefm 0.6.1 will hopefully correct the color chooser crash - if not I added some debug info to stdout.  Also the vim update issue should be resolved with the latest changes to the directory monitor code.

both bugs solved for me

good job

#62 2012-02-02 21:35:36

ninian
Website

+1 for me; looking great so far, thanks!
smile

#63 2012-02-03 04:56:04

oldtux

Is there any chance to support "internet keys"? (XF86Back, XF86Forward).
keys.jpg

I know that I can use Alt+Left|Right to navigate through directories, but with these keys, it would be much faster.
Both keys works well with PCmanFM.

Thanks for your work btw.

#64 2012-02-03 05:03:10

hasufell

@oldtux just redefine the hotkey for "go back|forward" and hit your internet keys.

#65 2012-02-03 05:26:23

oldtux

Thanks a lot @hasufell. Now it's working perfectly.

#66 2012-02-04 02:45:11

anonymous_user

If I accidently hide the toolbar for one of the panels, how do I get it back?

#67 2012-02-04 07:27:18

oldtux

@anonymous_user Right-click on any directory or file -> View -> Toolbox

Last edited by oldtux (2012-02-04 07:27:46)

#68 2012-02-04 16:23:26

tri1976

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Thanks.  Just so you know, creating a plugin is as simple as selecting Export from the design menu.  So if you have your script setup as a custom command script in spacefm, that's how to do it.

So I try to "Export" my custom command script as plugin.  I notice that the archive contains only a file called "plugin" and nothing under the folder "files", is this how it supposes to work?  How does it know what the script is?  I also notice in the "plugin" file, the "cstm-xxxxx-line" points to the original location of the script, should it has a relative path points to the new location?

#69 2012-02-06 20:34:32

hasufell

I have experienced stability issues with gtk+ filemanagers (some worse than others) when using conky.

I haven't backtraced that in specific yet, but if any1 got issues with spacefm crashing/hanging he may try with conky disabled. That seems to solve it for me.

Last edited by hasufell (2012-02-06 20:35:05)

#70 2012-02-07 19:41:54

fulmare

1. Is there a way to hide the menu bar without using fullscreen? Now, if a terminal window loses focus it goes on the bottom layer.
2. How should I set a background image? I've chosen one and I've put "/usr/bin/spacefm -d" in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
but it does not work.
3. Is it implemented drag and drop of multiple files using mouse?

#71 2012-02-09 16:58:10

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

So I try to "Export" my custom command script as plugin.  I notice that the archive contains only a file called "plugin" and nothing under the folder "files", is this how it supposes to work?  How does it know what the script is?  I also notice in the "plugin" file, the "cstm-xxxxx-line" points to the original location of the script, should it has a relative path points to the new location?

It sounds like you have the command set to Command>Line and are running an external script in the command line.  In this case the external script won't be saved in the plugin, just the command line you used to run it.  You can add additional files to the 'files' subfolder of the plugin archive to include them (but there are not yet variables for refering to the installed location).

The better way is to set Command>Script and use the provided script.  That way it will be included in the plugin file when you export, making it self-contained.

#72 2012-02-09 17:04:14

IgnorantGuru
Website

fulmare wrote:

1. Is there a way to hide the menu bar without using fullscreen? Now, if a terminal window loses focus it goes on the bottom layer.

There is not a way to hide just the menu bar.  Usually you can grab the last window back with Alt-Tab.

2. How should I set a background image? I've chosen one and I've put "/usr/bin/spacefm -d" in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh  but it does not work.

You'll want to use --desktop, as -d just starts a daemon but does not manage the desktop.  There is actually documentation for this now.

3. Is it implemented drag and drop of multiple files using mouse?

Sure - that should work.  If option View|Preferences|Interface|Rubberband Select is checked, you may need to click in the pane, then click again to drag, otherwise you are dragging the rubberband box.

#73 2012-02-14 21:37:53

IgnorantGuru
Website

0.7.0 is available, which moves plugins along a bit more, and also Design Mode and Plugins are now in the docs.  Let me know how those docs are working for you (still a work in progress) - thanks.

#74 2012-02-15 13:02:07

hasufell

do you plan to include the html-manual in the tarball?

#75 2012-02-15 13:08:07

IgnorantGuru
Website

hasufell wrote:

do you plan to include the html-manual in the tarball?

Yeah I do, and may install it to share so it can be accessed locally via the Help menu (using the user's default browser).

Board footer