You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-04 20:05:42

Starfall
Website

[SOLVED] ALSA Distortion upon boot

Hello smile

I have a rather irritating issue.

Upon booting, once my desktop has loaded up (using XFCE) I seem to have distortion in my speakers/headphones.

This has only popped up recently. When I go into alsamixer, I can see 'Capture' is on, if I turn this off by holding the down arrow on my keyboard until it is zero, the distortion goes away.

Runnung

alsactl store

as root doesn't help.

After turning down 'Capture' the noise is gone, even after waking from suspend, but after rebooting, it's back again! D:

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

See this screenshot

Last edited by Starfall (2012-02-04 21:55:19)

Visit my blog and my DeviatArt page

#2 2012-02-04 20:13:09

desm0tes
Website

Re: [SOLVED] ALSA Distortion upon boot

From wiki:

Restore ALSA Mixer settings at startup

Run alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state store once to create /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.

# alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state store

Edit /etc/rc.conf and add "alsa" to the list of daemons to start on boot-up. This will store the mixer settings on every shutdown and restore them when you boot.
If the mixer settings are not loaded on boot-up, add the following line to /etc/rc.local:

# alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore

#3 2012-02-04 20:22:54

Starfall
Website

desm0tes wrote:

From wiki:

Restore ALSA Mixer settings at startup

Run alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state store once to create /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.

# alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state store

Edit /etc/rc.conf and add "alsa" to the list of daemons to start on boot-up. This will store the mixer settings on every shutdown and restore them when you boot.
If the mixer settings are not loaded on boot-up, add the following line to /etc/rc.local:

# alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore

Thanks for the swift response desm0tes smile

Unfortunately this hasn't worked.

I tried multiple times (with reboots) and tried an aslactl store in different orders to see if it made a difference, however it's still the same.

#4 2012-02-04 20:33:04

desm0tes
Website

Did you try this, too?

wiki wrote:

These methods still may not work, or you may prefer to have audio settings for individual users. In this case, run alsactl store -f ~/.asoundrc as a normal user. This will save and restore volume settings on a per user basis. To automate this process, add the respective commands to ~/.bash_login and ~/.bash_logout, or the correct locations for the shell of your choice.

#5 2012-02-04 20:46:02

Starfall
Website

desm0tes wrote:

Did you try this, too?

wiki wrote:

These methods still may not work, or you may prefer to have audio settings for individual users. In this case, run alsactl store -f ~/.asoundrc as a normal user. This will save and restore volume settings on a per user basis. To automate this process, add the respective commands to ~/.bash_login and ~/.bash_logout, or the correct locations for the shell of your choice.

I had done that yes smile

Good news though! As it was the 'Capture' that seemed to be effecting this, I never though to check any of the other channels. I just tried all of them, found 'Front mic', turned that down and ran an alsactl store; rebooted and no noise! big_smile

Thanks very much for the help desm0tes, appreciated it! I suppose I'll need to be more thorough next time! tongue

#6 2012-02-04 20:55:22

desm0tes
Website

You're welcome.

I suppose everyone's missing a point from time to time, especially when trying to be extra-thoroughly wink

Please mark thread as [solved] wink

Last edited by desm0tes (2012-02-04 20:59:05)

#7 2012-02-04 21:55:46

Starfall
Website

desm0tes wrote:

You're welcome.

I suppose everyone's missing a point from time to time, especially when trying to be extra-thoroughly wink

Please mark thread as [solved] wink

Haha, yup! Cheers again desm0tes big_smile

Board footer