You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-04 23:18:14

DarthBalls

'Failed to load session gnome' when logging into xfce

So after following the wiki for installing xfce and running it through a display manager by adding necessary daemons, i get this error. I chose to use the gnome display manager (gdm) if that helps.

I don't understand why this isn't working as i've read the wiki and followed it precisely. .

Here's a screenshot for reference.

4cqrAs.png

My patience is getting really thin with this distro - i've already had an unsuccessful install with LXDE following the wiki and what it says. I'd hate to leave it as the philosophy fits me.

#2 2012-02-05 00:35:30

desm0tes
Website

Re: 'Failed to load session gnome' when logging into xfce

According to this and your other thread, there is one thing I am very sure about: You DIDN't "follow the wiki precisely".

Seems like your user account is all messed up - did you set the necessary rights? Did you create user-stuff as root?
Why do you use GDM, when you already had a KDE (and along with this, a KDM) running? Simply install LXDE/XFCE and KDM would have recognized them.
What about booting? Any errors on mounting HDD?
Did you consider checking the logs (e.g. /var/log/gdm.log)?

Did you consider people's patience with you might be getting thin, when all you provide is "I did it like the wiki said" and a screenshot saying "failed to load session: gnome", while you seem to don't even have a functional gnome installed? wink

#3 2012-02-05 01:10:02

DarthBalls

I should've been more descriptive, my apologies.

I wasn't aware of DE and DMs being interchangeable. Prior to having KDE, i had a fully working gnome environment but I wanted to go on a DE spree and try out new things - using Gnome and KDE was a breeze. I have no issues with hard drive mount and booting, all seem to be fine.

After I removed KDE and installed LXDE, things started breaking on me.i've went through several hours of re-read relative wiki pages and reconfiguring files, setting permissions, using multiple methods of starting X. I even tried uninstalling the entire DE completely and starting from scratch.

A Google search suggested that I create an .desktop file that'll instruct gdm to start an xfce session via GDM along with editing the rc.conf file adding the daemon for the gnome display manager. That suggestion didn't fix the problem either.

I will check the log files, and look for a source. Thanks for the recommendation.

#4 2012-02-05 20:24:45

desm0tes
Website

Ah, OK, now it's all a little clearer wink
DE and DM ain't used interchangable, GDM and KDM are the login managers of Gnome/KDM and therefore part of those DE's, but can of course be used without the DE.

Both have a quite ubuntu-ish approach, while you might want to try SLiM as login manager: It's more of an archic approach of being simple: no creating .desktop-files and such, just quite easy editing of /etc/slim.conf and ~/.xinitrc.

Board footer