You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-06 13:15:50

habbe

linux-rt and NVIDIA

I want realtime-kernel and NVIDIA propietary driver. I've tried linux-rt and nvidia-rt from AUR, but when X starts I only get a black screen and have to restart. Few others have the same problem as seen in the comments
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=12132

lspci says I have
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Is the file "Xorg.0.log.old" a log for the previous boot? How do I help to solve this?

#2 2012-02-06 14:37:09

triplesquarednine

Re: linux-rt and NVIDIA

If you read the comments in the linux-rt AUR, you will see a bunch of people are having similar problems.

I would assume that you have compiled the latest linux-rt? ie: 3.2.2-rt

As for what is causing the problem, it seems to be not clear whether it is the nvidia driver, or something in the RT patch.

Xorg.0.log is the log file you are looking for. When it has .old at the end, that means it is a backup.

You also might want to consider posting on the linux-rt-users list ~ as i haven't seen anyone point out these latest nvidia issues that some people are having ~ they would also be able to tell you what sort of information they may require to get to the bottom of this.

I haven't tried 3.2.2-rt yet, but am also an nvidia user, maybe i can give it a go and see if i run into the same problem.

sorry i can't be of more help, than this but maybe this will get you started wink

cheerz

#3 2012-02-06 21:29:28

habbe

The latest linux-rt is 3.2.4_rt10-1, but I had the same problem earlier, I've never had it working. Also I've tried a couple of different nvidia-rt -versions.

I know Xorg.0.log has the info but I need to access it before X is started - failsafe boot? I haven't tried that, don't know what it means. If it starts without X then I'll be able to see the log.

EDIT: I meant fallback kernel of course, but I can just take out gdm from rc.conf and get info that way, although later, now I have to go to sleep.

Last edited by habbe (2012-02-06 22:03:32)

#4 2012-02-08 17:38:15

habbe

After the black screen and reboot, Xorg.0.log is empty. I tried to search messages.log for something, I got

localhost kernel: [    3.754598] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
localhost kernel: [    4.000929] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16

and since I tried to start gdm, this could be related:

localhost gnome-session[637]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Last edited by habbe (2012-02-08 17:39:48)

#5 2012-02-09 09:53:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

If its a license problem your driver shouldn't have compiled in the first place, I think.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2012-03-21 20:12:59

rigsc

habbe wrote:

I want realtime-kernel and NVIDIA propietary driver. I've tried linux-rt and nvidia-rt from AUR, but when X starts I only get a black screen and have to restart. Few others have the same problem as seen in the comments
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=12132

lspci says I have
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Is the file "Xorg.0.log.old" a log for the previous boot? How do I help to solve this?

Hi Habbe,

Have you found a resolution for this problem yet?  I'm not on Arch (I'm running Fedora 16) on a laptop with a Nvidia 310m card with the same lockup when I try the nvidia driver with either 3.0-rt or 3.2-rt.  I'm using nouveau for now, but I'd like to use the proprietary driver.

--Steve

#7 2012-04-09 08:42:55

mattisan

I'm also having the same problem as Habbe with both the 295.20 and 295.33 drivers.

I've tried 2 different systems:

- Intel i5 2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4, MSI Geforce GTX 550 Ti
- AMD Phenom II X4 965BE, Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H, Nvidia Quadro FX 3450

Both systems work flawlessly with the current arch stock kernel and current 295.33 nvidia driver.

I'm using LXDM and XFCE4 if that is relevant.

I've tried compiling on both systems the current linux-rt and nvidia-rt without any modifications to kernel configs or modifications to CFLAGS in makepkg.conf to see if that made a difference and still got a black screen on X loading.

I've tried using a working xorg.conf from the stock kernel / nvidia combo (with twinview disabled), tried deleting xorg.conf, tried running nvidia-xconfig after nvidia-rt install - all is the same result.

I've also tried doing a completely fresh arch install and then compiling linux-rt & nvidia-rt before installing any xorg server components.

Interestingly, on the current stock arch 3.3+ kernels I've tried and linux-rt 3.2+ kernels I've tried - my geforce gtx 550 ti does not work with KMS - I get a system freeze on startup.  Adding nomodeset to grub kernel line with these kernels enables boot.  Right now I'm using linux-rt-lts 3.0.27 and that is working perfectly with KMS / nouveau.

So could we assume that something has changed in the 3.2 and 3.3 series kernels that is causing an issue with KMS? (at least with my gtx 550 ti).

And could we then wonder if that same something changed in 3.2 & 3.3 kernels is also causing issue with nvidia-rt? (at least on some cards?).

An nvidia-rt package in the AUR for linux-rt-lts would be pretty handy right now.  I've never created an arch pkgbuild before... I guess this gives me a good reason to learn.  I'm going to give it a go, will post back here if I have a win.

Matt

#8 2012-04-09 16:34:35

mattisan

Cancel that regarding nvidia lts pkgbuild.  I'm having other problems with my ice1712 sound card now after some recent updates.  No point in even using an rt kernel until I can get that working again sad

#9 2012-05-10 12:20:19

habbe

Still having the same problem with 3.2.14-rt24-1-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT and nvidia-rt-295.20-1

nvidia module is loaded, but starting X locks the system.

#10 2012-05-10 13:44:40

beroal
Website

"Hi habbe - I take you also tried with no xorg.conf (at all)?"
I don't know what you mean. You have to have xorg.conf, right?

The Xorg server can run without xorg.conf .

we are not condemned to write ugly code

#11 2012-05-11 17:13:24

triplesquarednine

Well guys.

I did (finally) upgrade to linux-rt 3.2 + the latest (beta) nvidia driver v302.07, using the related packages in the AUR. Although, i did modify nvidia-rt (changing pkgver, etc) so that i could test the latest driver. ( i think the nvidia-rt package is at 290.49?)

I had no problems, the driver installed fine and xorg doesn't give me any grief.

The only lockups i have had were cause by vdpau + flash, which isn't surprising really, and that has only happened twice, after days of uptime in each case. I'm not even using xorg.conf after this latest update, it just works out of the box. I do have /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf - but that is just for passing a few nvidia driver parameters.

I don't know what is going with your guys systems, but for the people who are having problems of Xorg locking up, maybe you could run a stack trace (on X) and see if you can find more info?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … ing_Traces

i'm using an Nvidia Geforce GT440, the rest of my software and/or hardware specs can be seen here;

https://launchpad.net/~triplesquarednine

other than the vdpau/flash issue, which i will debug and submit a bug report to nvidia (eventually). I haven't had a single problem using nvidia with 3.0-rt nor any problems with 3.2-rt not working. The only issue i did have when i was using 3.0-rt, was when the AUR packages started using /extramodules for the nvidia.ko, at that point i couldn't get the latest driver working because (i think) the 3.0-rt kernel didn't expect the module to be in /extramodules.

Sorry, i am not much more help but there is little information posted to really go on / see what the problem might be.

cheerz

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2012-05-11 17:14:38)

#12 2012-05-15 21:46:47

habbe

As far as I see Ardour needs a RT-kernel. I had to change between nvidia and nouveau and now got fed up, as the RT-kernel from repos would not boot after recent updates, and I would've had to compile the 3.x series RT-kernel again.

I changed to Ubuntustudio 12.04. Nvidia works straight away with the stock kernel 3.2.0-23-lowlatency-pae #31-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT, even though it isn't RT which would be the ideal. But more importantly, pulseaudio->jack module works out of the box and very well. I'm very impressed. The only downside is that Ubuntustudio does not embrace Gnome 3 nor Unity.

I still have Arch in my laptop but there the stock kernel has been satisfactory, even for recording with firewire-audio. Thus life has been easy with that laptop.

EDIT: As far as I see ardour needs RT-kernel to work properly without crashing with larger projects.

Last edited by habbe (2012-05-23 13:14:00)

#13 2012-05-16 00:07:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

habbe wrote:

As far as I see Ardour needs a RT-kernel.

No.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer