You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-04 14:27:41

csmik

Problem with udev during the boot

Hi guys,

Sorry if I didn't post this message in the good section but I didn't find any support section, so I supposed that this section was the most apropriate.

So, I have a really ennoying problem with udevd since the latest kernel upgrade (3.2.2-1) during the boot.

I have the following error at the boot:
"udevd[37]: No such file or directory." and then the OS is unable to mount the disks and give me the weakest shell ever while saying me "You're on your own". Thank you Arch! wink

I can't find any informations on google about this error, and I d'ont find a complete explanation of udev debug (specialy because no logs are written at this moment).

Thank you very much guys.

#2 2012-02-06 16:28:33

qaws

Re: Problem with udev during the boot

Hello. I have the same problem after last upgrade today.

udevd[64]: no such file or directory

ERROR: Unable to find root device 'UUID=...'

Looks like /dev/sd* files are missing.

Anyone have a soulution or ideas? Thanks.

#3 2012-02-06 16:34:45

csmik

Just find the issue, the problem come from the fact that the kernel is actually not present!
Delete all your files concerning the kernel, then reinstall it.
(this assumes that you have a rescue kernel ... always have a rescue kernel, the lts seems to be a good way)
If you don't have any rescue kernel, just download something manually and install it in the dirtiest way as possible then install the kernel then delete the dirty one.

#4 2012-02-06 18:53:53

nomorewindows

This sounds like you didn't make your initramfs image.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5 2012-02-06 19:54:28

qaws

I took installation cd and reinstalled kernel. Now it works.
Thans to csmik. Now i have backup kernel also.

#6 2012-02-07 15:39:54

GreenTime

qaws or someone else:

Could you elaborate on how to just reinstall the kernel? Somehow I'm stuck sad

#7 2012-02-08 17:14:40

nomorewindows

GreenTime wrote:

qaws or someone else:

Could you elaborate on how to just reinstall the kernel? Somehow I'm stuck sad

Usually, you'll need a live CD (I recommend an ArchLinux Installation CD) or an LTS kernel sitting around on the same machine that can get you more or less into your favored machine.  It can also be done, by pxe/diskless booting from an installation (I'm a fan of quick and efficient)!  Then you have to mount all the necessary partitions /, /usr (sometimes /var if you need your packages) and most importantly /boot.  They have to be mounted underneath the rescue system being used , usually under /mnt.  Also needed is a mock-up of your /proc. /sys and /dev.  Once they are mounted accordingly, then you chroot into your installation you need to fix.  It helps if the rescue system has the same kernel, because the chroot'ed system usually tries to build your kernel based on the rescue system, but if you have your kernel package handy, it will build it with the packages modules & kernel.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#8 2012-02-09 12:16:25

GreenTime

That worked, thanks! Apparently my last update messed up nearly everything, most of my libs were empty, Xorg drivers were wrong and as a result gnome didn't start... had to reinstall most of these things. I just hope that will never happen again sad

Board footer