You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-03 22:30:39

contrasutra

libiconv problems

Well, a long time ago, like when I just installed Arch, a package needed libiconv.so.*. So I googled, and made a package of libiconv. Ive been using it ever since.

Now that Ive been making public packages, apparantly different GNOME/GTK programs are linking against that, and since its on my system, and not on theirs, the packages arent working.

So I wanted to solve this, so I though that the libraries were located in the glibc package. I removed my libiconv package and re-installed the glibc package (by hand, because pacman kept dying).

well, It didn't work.

So, what package contains all the libiconv libraries? It must be in one, because no one else has needed libiconv for anything.

Thanks.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#2 2003-12-03 22:37:32

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: libiconv problems

I have no libiconv libraries on my system at all.  There is a /usr/bin/iconv but that's owned by glibc.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-12-03 22:45:23

contrasutra

But you build gnome apps fine?

Something is really odd.

Do you have /usr/lib/libiconv.la on your system?

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#4 2003-12-03 22:47:29

kritoke
Website

I don't have any libiconv libraries on my system either.  All I had to do to fix one of your packages (rhythmbox) with the libiconv error was just rerun makepkg and it fixed things.  I don't think my system is much different than anyone elses, except maybe the updated xine, but I doubt many people have that, so it must be something else.  You can check out my system on arch stats and maybe figure out what I have that you don't and maybe that could help explain the errors: http://coding-zone.com/archstats.phtml? … FF1CF9ADF8

Edit: Only thing I can find with libiconv is in the source directory of abiword 2.0.1-2 in abs:

./var/abs/office/abiword/src/abiword-2.0.1-2/libiconv
./var/abs/office/abiword/src/abiword-2.0.1-2/libiconv/po/libiconv.pot

Not sure if that helps at all, I myself can compile gnome stuff just fine, every so often I compile the new Gnome 2.5.x stuff to test my nerves.  So I don't think lacking this causes gnome stuff to not compile right.

Kritoke

http://counter.li.org/ Registered Linux User #318963 kritoke@jabber.org

#5 2003-12-03 22:49:54

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Maybe libiconv is checked in the configure step and used only if it exists?  There is nothing on my system that starts with libiconv... I also searched for iconv, and came up with things like iconview and kiconview and that's where I found /usr/bin/iconv, but that's it.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-12-03 23:01:03

sarah31
Website

libiconv is a standalone project.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2003-12-03 23:10:39

contrasutra

Yes, I know its a standalone project. Its just ONE implementation of libiconv though. Obviously arch doesnt use it.

Like I said, I built my own package, and thus the trouble began.

I really cant figure it out. I think maybe I have some remnants of an iconv file, or I have to rebuild some major app like GTK2 to not use libiconv.

I dont know.

#8 2003-12-04 00:21:09

contrasutra

OK, I rebuilt libiconv so I could get those libraries.

Im going to upload a package of it to my TUR. You can use this if you are getting the library errors when using one of my packages. It shouldnt cause any problems with other packages.

This is temporary, until I can figure this whole thing out.

#9 2003-12-08 04:02:50

contrasutra

OK, figured it out. GTK2 was the offending library. I forgot I had rebuilt that.

I will rebuild and upload all my GNOME packages again. Sorry for this, really.

If you have used one of my packages, and gotten the libiconv error, please tell me, so I dont miss a package.

Board footer