You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-29 11:47:18

panosk

Direct streaming with samba and DLNA/UPNP capable players

Hello,

I have mediatomb running on my server which streams media to my PS3. However, I would like to do the same with my arch machines, but I can't find any players or plugins with upnp functionality. Amarok, AFAIK, doesn't have such capability. Although I always prefered this method for watching media, now I really need it because playing through samba is impossible. When I try to play media from samba shares, all players download the content locally and then start playing it (unless I mount the samba share, sth I would like to avoid). The same happens with every file, pdfs, rtfs, etc - the file is downloaded locally and then opens in its application. There was a hack for mplayer that allowed direct streaming, but now it doesn't work (changing the "exec" value in the gmplayer.desktop file and adding the %F parameter). Maybe there is a hack for Dolphin that changes this behaviour?

#2 2009-01-29 12:02:35

even
Website

Re: Direct streaming with samba and DLNA/UPNP capable players

For share folders you can use ushare. It works fine with dlna and upnp. But doesnt have a GUI, only config files and a daemon. Works with ps3 and xbox360.

#3 2009-01-29 12:08:12

panosk

even wrote:

For share folders you can use ushare. It works fine with dlna and upnp. But doesnt have a GUI, only config files and a daemon. Works with ps3 and xbox360.

Well, what I actually need is a UPnP media renderer or player. Mediatomb is a UPnP server, similar to ushare, and I am very happy with it.

#4 2009-02-16 16:29:19

zenlord
Website

https://coherence.beebits.net/wiki/Medi … aRenderers

Coherence is an alternative for Mediatomb, and they have some nautilus-extensions, and some (experimental) mediarenderers, apparently. I have no experience with those at the moment...

Zl.

#5 2012-02-07 15:55:34

abdza

Well this is depressing. Last post was in 2009 and there was still no answer to the original question. I'm looking for a good dlna player on arch too.

#6 2012-02-07 17:11:31

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

abdza, although I respect your feelings, please keep to our policy regarding old threads.
Closing.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer