You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-03 13:40:44

robrene

Make drives connected through an AHCI interface non-removable

Hello

My computer is set up in such a way that there are internal drives connected to an AHCI interface. My filebrowser is showing them as removable media (since AHCI supports hot-swapping, this would make sense in certain conditions I presume).
However, I could encounter serious breakage if I inadvertently were to remove one of these drives.

My question is, can I somehow set a mount option or a udev rule or anything else that will turn these drives into non-removable media, and if so how?

I've attached a screenshot:
hRdni.png

As you can see, the drives at the top have a little eject icon next to them.

smile neutral sad big_smile yikes wink hmm tongue lol mad roll cool

#2 2011-10-03 15:14:43

eldragon

Re: Make drives connected through an AHCI interface non-removable

create an entry in fstab for them. the mount point has to be outside of /media i think

#3 2011-10-04 02:51:26

robrene

I'm sorry, but that doesn't seem to solve my problem. There are already entries in my fstab file for these drives. If I point them outside of /media (say /mnt) the drives no longer appear in the sidebar at all. I do believe it is necessary to mount in /media, but perhaps with different options...

When I was using IDE mode on my SATA controller, the drives were mounted on /media as well, but did not have the eject icon if I recall correctly. So it should theoretically be possible somehow...

smile neutral sad big_smile yikes wink hmm tongue lol mad roll cool

#4 2012-02-08 03:18:27

szim90

Though I'm not sure if this is the problem, I know there is a "removable" flag for devices in udev (ATTR{removable}). You could set a udev rule to mark the specific hard drive listed as non-removable.

Board footer