You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-07 12:53:25

yanfaun1

How do I use p3scan to scan email (Thunderbird) using Clamav? [/b]

How do I use p3scan to scan email (Thunderbird) using Clamav? I followed this http://p3scan.sourceforge.net/readme.html

I searched for hours in Google and in forums looking for a way to get Clamav to scan email using p3Scan?

I have three  questions (one question is in two parts) about setting up p3scan to use Clamav to scan for Viruses in incoming & outgoing email:

I now have three questions.  One is in two parts:

Question 1) 
Within the "/etc/p3scan/p3scan.conf" file there is a line that reads "# username: laitcg#pop.gmail.com:110 host: <url of p3scan machine> port: 8110".

My question is:how does a person find the url of the p3scan machine?

Question 2) 
Within the read me file that you sent me (http://p3scan.sourceforge.net/readme.html)
there appears the following:
P3SCAN_USER=mail (clamav, etc...)
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport pop3 -j REDIRECT --to 8110
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport smtp -j REDIRECT --to 8110
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport pop3s -j REDIRECT --to 8110
iptables -t nat -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport pop3 -m owner --uid-owner $P3SCAN_USER -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport pop3 -j REDIRECT --to 8110

My question as it pertains to the above is: Who is the owner and who is the P3SCAN_user?

Question 3) 
Within the "/etc/p3scan/p3scan.conf" file there is a paragraph that reads:
"Clam Anti-Virus: http://www.clamav.net
#
# This program must run as the same user as p3scan is running so that
# it can access the mail files for scanning. Either compile with the
# options --with-user=mail --with-group=mail (if p3scan is using the
# the default user/group of "mail") or change "User" in clamav.conf
# to the user p3scan is running as. If you get a return code other
# than a 0 or 1, see the clamav documentation for the reason.
#"

My question as it pertains to the above is: I installed Clamav years ago, so how do I make it run as user mail?

I would hope that no “Linux Guru” will post something to the effect of “the bash is the answer. Figure it out.” I learned and accomplished a great deal in Linux relative to the fact that I am a laymen whose college education did not encompass networking and computer science. I am asking for help because I cannot help myself.
Thanks in advance to everyone.

If someone could please, please answer the three questions that I've asked above, I would be most grateful.

#2 2012-02-07 13:25:36

hokasch

Re: How do I use p3scan to scan email (Thunderbird) using Clamav? [/b]

yanfaun1 wrote:

I installed Clamav years ago, so how do I make it run as user mail?

yanfaun1 wrote:

#[...]Either compile with the
# options --with-user=mail --with-group=mail (if p3scan is using the
# the default user/group of "mail") or change "User" in clamav.conf
# to the user p3scan is running as.

..or the other way round (change p3scan user).

You can specify the user p3scan runs as, see the config file. The useurl part is an alternative to iptables, just ignore it if you use iptables.

Last edited by hokasch (2012-02-07 13:26:37)

#3 2012-02-08 12:42:19

yanfaun1

Re: How do I use p3scan to scan email (Thunderbird) using Clamav? [/b]

Still not solved

I decided to go with the  host: <url of p3scan machine> vs iptables. It seemed easier at the time.
The problem is that everything is written as a bunch of options with no clear direction indicated, unless one has a computer science degree or a strong IT background, and I am lacking in both.

The bottom line is that more I look at p3scan, the more confused and lost I become. Is there an alternative to p3scan that actually has GOOD documentation? I looked at Claws but thanks to the new pacman, 50% of all packages fail checksum test, something for another post.

Can someone walk me through this? If someone would walk me through this, I'd be more than happy to turn it into a step-by-step outline designed for the average user because this is just ludicrous. It has been my experience that good documentation open the door to so much more as it pertains to advancing one's undrstanding and enjoyment of Linux. I know that this p3scan setup would be well within the ability of the average "Arch Linux" if it were written for the laymen.
Please help
Thanks

# username: laitcg                     host: pop.gmail.com             port: 110
# To:
# username: laitcg#pop.gmail.com:110   host: <url of p3scan machine>   port: 8110
#
# default: <none>

Board footer