You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-31 21:27:20

Caliburn

Wacom / Bamboo CTL-470, Sensitivity Issue After 4~ secs

Hey guys.

I'm using a Bamboo CTL-470 tablet that has a pretty significant issue that does not exist in Windows (this is a dual boot system and I've tested it just this morning to confirm). After installing using https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131831 to install the tablet, I can confirm the tablet does indeed work in X. This can be shown using MyPaint, Gimp, even using the tablet as a mouse temporarily.

The only problem that I cannot dodge seems to involve the sensitivity. It seems every four to five seconds when drawing a straight line the tablet completely loses it's ability to make a mark for all of a split second, and then it begins writing again at a much less sensitive rate.. which, it's worth noting, I haven't changed how hard my pen is pressing on the tablet at this point.

I'm not sure how else to describe it other than the above, but I can tell you it makes drawing virtually impossible if you're wanting long, smooth lines.

I can tell you this seems to be a sensitivity issue because if I disable sensitivity and try drawing with it as a sketch w/ no differences in how hard the pen is being pressed, the pen continues writing smooth, long lines.

Having top running while MyPaint is going shows python 2.7 is running around 9% CPU while the tablet is in use. And it doesn't seem there are any other processes that would give issue every four to five seconds.. ??

I'll try about anything to prevent logging back into Windows just to draw. Any suggestions?

#2 2012-02-03 15:05:54

btby

Re: Wacom / Bamboo CTL-470, Sensitivity Issue After 4~ secs

Same issue for the same device here. Unfortunately, haven't figured out how to resolve it yet. The input would also occasionally skip in Xournal.

#3 2012-02-06 06:44:34

ssjdrn

I was having this problem with the CTH-670. I haven't tested it extensively yet, but the wacom.ko generated by http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linu … .1.tar.bz2 seems to fix things. After compilation, you have to copy the wacom.ko from the 2.6.38 subdirectory to the proper place under /lib/modules/... I'm running the stock kernel (3.2.2-1-ARCH).

Using the tablet in Gimp still causes very high spikes in CPU usage, but this doesn't happen in MyPaint, so I suppose it's not a driver issue.

Last edited by ssjdrn (2012-02-06 06:45:12)

#4 2012-02-08 03:23:43

Caliburn

Okay, totally not sure whether or not to mark this 'solved' because this does indeed help the sensitivity issue, but there's another problem that is worth talking about.

Since using this wacom.ko and installing it (like mentioned in another Wacom thread I've been replying to), it seems suddenly the mouse in X / KDE 4.8 goes absolutely haywire and shoots to the left side of the screen, and the tablet will work but then the mouse will shoot off to the left side again. The only fix to this I'm aware of for the interim, interestingly, is by hitting CTRL+ALT+F1 and then CTRL+ALT+F7 to come back to X, which the mouse and tablet both function normally again.

Besides the fact the screen also goes absolutely haywire and shoots through all of the virtual desktops (I've 4 of them), Yakuake reports an up arrow ASCII being sent over and over and over.

In an hour period, the tablet causing the mouse to go crazy has happened automagically without my input four times. I don't seem to do anything to trigger it, either.. the mouse just kind of randomly starts going nuts.

Does this happen to anyone else? Suggestions to fix it?

** EDIT: The QPainter issue was not related to this, therefore it's removal from this thread is required. One word: QMMP.

Last edited by Caliburn (2012-02-14 19:57:46)

#5 2012-02-08 19:16:46

ssjdrn

Well, the obvious/asshole suggestion is to say try it with a different desktop environment. Of course maybe you have a reason for using KDE, but I'm having no such issues using Gimp/MyPaint under Openbox.

#6 2012-02-10 18:50:50

kocsv

I also have the problem that every 5 seconds the pen "lifts" and starts drawing again leaving a gap in the line. Installing the 0.12.1 module helps but cpu usage is still quite high.

Last edited by kocsv (2012-02-10 19:18:42)

#7 2012-02-19 21:00:41

btby

Thank you, ssjdrn! The device is finally usable. smile MyPaint under XMonad sees no CPU usage spikes or sporadic mouse movement.

Last edited by btby (2012-11-24 19:28:07)

Board footer