You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-02 11:52:44

scusack

lilo fails to boot kernel after upgrade

Hi all,

I did a pacman -Syu yesterday got the new .23 kernel and when I rebooted lilo gave me this error;

Loading arch EBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage

I booted of the 0.5 cd and uninstalled the .23 kernel and put the .22 kernel back and I now get

Loading arch...........

and then it hangs, presumably other modules are now out of sync and hanging, so presuming a put the .23 kernel back in how do get around the LILO problem?

#2 2003-12-02 12:29:03

andy

Re: lilo fails to boot kernel after upgrade

Every time you move or copy or install a kernel, or edit lilo.conf you have to run the

lilo

command. See http://www.archlinux.org/docs/archdoc_u … 0000000000

Grub does not have these problems. Grub can actually read the filesystem. Lilo cannot read the filesystem, and therefore, needs to know the physical location of the kernel on the harddrive. That's hat the 'lilo' command is doing: filling a table in the bootloader with the physical location of the kernel.

#3 2003-12-03 21:36:01

scusack

DOH!  Thanks, worked like a dream.

#4 2003-12-04 00:42:51

deepfreeze

it seems that I have also done the same foolish thing  :oops:

However, doing what is outlined in the documents allows me to get into my system and mount, chroot, etc. When I go to issue the "lilo" command to get everything hunky-dory again, I get the following error...

Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/discs/disc0/disc")

*wanders off grumbling to himself* what does this mean now?

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#5 2003-12-04 15:28:21

andy

Are you usually running a custom kernel ?

If not, can you boot the CD and start the CD kernel with the root=/your/root/on/harddrive ?

If everything else fails, I would suggest to create a Grub boot floppy (described in the manual on the grub home page - you may need some sort of Linux system, though). With that you can access any kernel on your hard drive. You just need to get used how to operate the Grub shell ;-)

#6 2003-12-04 15:50:25

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Do you have a dev filesystem mounted within you chroot?  After doing the chroot type 'ls /dev', if it comes back with nothing then you should probably mount that before the chroot.  As well you probably want to mount the proc filesystem before the chroot.

You could also use the cd as a rescue cd and use it like andy is saying, with the root option.  That way you'd be booting your system as if it was proper, except for the kernel version.  All you'd have to do then is log in and type 'lilo' then reboot.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2003-12-04 16:30:18

deepfreeze

andy wrote:

Are you usually running a custom kernel ?

If not, can you boot the CD and start the CD kernel with the root=/your/root/on/harddrive ?

I'm not running a custom kernel.  What I do is this:

1. Boot from CD
2. issue the "vmlinuz root=/dev/discs/disc1/part1" (where my root is on that partition)
3. Everything boots normally and gets me to a prompt. I log in as root
4. mount /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /mnt
5. mount /dev/discs/disc1/part3 /mnt/home
6. chroot /mnt
7. lilo - here is where the error ensues.

Xentac, I was unaware of mounting the proc filesystem...and don't know what exactly to do for that...but I'll research it and give it try.  Also, if you see something wrong that I'm doing above, let me know.  Obviously, this isn't something I've done before and don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm willing to try smile  It can't get much worse than it is already  :oops:

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#8 2003-12-04 16:46:19

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If you're doing the root= method then you don't want to use chroot (because your root is already set properly).

Do 1, 2, 3.

Then type 'lilo'.  Then 'shutdown -r now'.  That'll do it.

The only time you want to use chroot is if your lilo.conf and vmlinuz are based off a different root (let me set up the scenario).

You've booted off the cd, without any special args.  You have a ramdisk that's set up by the cd.  You mount your partition at /mnt.  That means that your lilo.conf is at /mnt/etc/lilo.conf and your vmlinuz file is at /mnt/boot/vmlinuz.  You use chroot to make all the processes access /mnt when they're trying to access /.  That way /etc/lilo.conf is your proper lilo.conf and /boot/vmlinuz is your proper vmlinuz file.  The problem is that /mnt/dev and /mnt/proc have nothing in them because they're mounted to /dev and /proc on the ramdisk.

You really didn't have to understand that, but that's the problem.  Quit making it more difficult than it is tongue

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer