You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-10 23:39:25

pateratoomie

Wireless connects, but no internet/ping

kindof a noob here, but still, an odd problem. I am using networkmanager for my wireless, and it had been working up until maybe two weeks ago. Still not sure what broke it. It manages to connect to my router, it gets an ip address, but I can neither ping much (google..) or load any web pages. According do dmesg, wlan0 seems authenticated and associated, dhcp appears to be working, giving me an ip of 192.168.2.102, so what else could be going wrong here?

that is to say, I can ping localhost and my own ip address, trying to ping the router returns 'Do you want to ping broadcast? Then -b', and trying to ping anything else gives me 'Destination Host Unreachable'. So whats goin on here. It's an Atheros 9825 (I think.. it worked before...) wifi chip, btw. I suspect this is a kernel issue, but am hoping there's some way to fix it. I need my wifi!! Sorry I can't post better logs, the machine in question is off the net...

thanks

#2 2012-02-10 23:45:47

Gusar

Re: Wireless connects, but no internet/ping

Hmm, WEP encryption? If yes, known bug. Don't use WEP! If you're not, well, there are some other bugs in the driver too. Patching the kernel might be required, but you can also try disabling hardware encryption as a temporary workaround - in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

options atk9k nohwcrypt=1

Last edited by Gusar (2012-02-11 01:01:06)

#3 2012-02-11 00:01:42

pateratoomie

Yea, it's WEP, but I can't change it, it isn't my router. My wireless is AR8131 btw, for what its worth. I tried your fix above, but still nothing. It's just driving me nuts that it worked a few weeks ago, before some update smashed it... and now I'm using my broadcom-powered hundred dollar netbook, which is working better than my mighty laptop. such is progress.

--I changed something about tcp windows somewhere that I read about as a possible somution to a similar problem, I hope that change isn't preventing this from working...?

I guess I could downgrade to kernel 3.2.1 or so, it appears that was the last version that functioned well with the atheros driver. But that would mean I0d have to downgrade the whole system, I imagine, which might be a giant pain? Never done that. And for all I know I've cleared the cache since then..

anything else I could try??

Last edited by pateratoomie (2012-02-11 00:17:25)

#4 2012-02-11 00:28:23

Gusar

Downgrading the kernel does not require downgrading anything else, so you could do that. Or you compile your own kernel and apply the patch that fixes wep. The patch is here: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ker … eral/84982

off-topic: I'm again baffled by how many people still use wep. Guys, wep can be hacked in under a minute. It doesn't offer any real protection.

Last edited by Gusar (2012-02-11 00:30:04)

#5 2012-02-11 19:22:25

t1nk3r3r

I use netcfg with my ath9k, so I don't know much about NetworkManager.  If dhcp was ultimately successful, you'd be able to ping your router.  Pinging broadcast is useless.  Sounds like NetworkManager could be at fault for not telling you something went wrong. 
1.) Try to bring up the connection yourself (via command-line):  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … stallation
2.) Outputs of 'iwconfig' and 'ifconfig' (you can edit-out the SSID and MAC if you want).

It would be helpful if we knew more about the router as well (make/model, router-only or modem/router combo).

[WEP only keeps the honest people honest.  Better than nothing, though.]

Last edited by t1nk3r3r (2012-02-11 19:45:39)

--------------------------The only wasted day is one in which you learn nothing.--------------------------

#6 2012-02-12 20:18:58

pateratoomie

1. can't bring it up myself. not even sure if  'ip link wlan0 up' works, as it still says DOWN after. 'iwlist wlan0 scan' returns 'No scan results'. So something fishy here. But when I give the 'iwconfig wlan0 essid "myessid" key MYHEXKEY' it -seems- to associate itself with the router. But still no browsing ze internets.

2. tried my od netcfg profile which worked before I switched to wicd and then networkmanager (which also worked). Netcfg also doesn 't work. meh.

here's iwconfigs output:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"barry white" 
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=48/70  Signal level=-62 dBm 
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:12  Invalid misc:113   Missed beacon:0

and this is ifconfig:

wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500  metric 1
        inet 192.168.2.102  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.2.255
        inet6 XXXX::XXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 350  bytes 111400 (108.7 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 135  bytes 9885 (9.6 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

The router is a siemens gigaset SE551, router only, no modem.

thanks for any help.

#7 2012-02-12 20:55:35

ewaller
Administrator

What is the output of ip route  ??

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2012-02-13 09:42:13

t1nk3r3r

My 'ip route' (for comparison):

default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0  metric 303
192.168.1.0/26 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.58  metric 303

'ip link set wlan0 up' should always work unless it's already up or RFKILL is set either from software or hardware 'rfkill list'
As long as the wireless is on, 'iwlist wlan0 scan' should pick up something.  Even if you're associated to a router, it will return with that router's info.

As to iwconfig/ifconfig: Everything appears normal aside from 'Tx excessive retries' and 'scopeid 0x20<link>' (I have 'scopeid 0x10<host>').  That may be irrelevant though.

Other points I forgot before:
-Access to router-side stats
-Firewall configurations on either side

I'm not familiar with 'tcp windows' but the clues point in that general direction: the devices _seem_ to see each other, but data is not being allowed through.
Is there another AP you can test?

Also, my Atheros chipset is AR9285.  So yours being newer wouldn't rule out a driver issue.  Although I've been using -ARCH kernels 3.2.1, 3.2.2, and my own custom kernels without complaint.

--------------------------The only wasted day is one in which you learn nothing.--------------------------

#9 2012-02-13 11:38:23

hokasch

But when I give the 'iwconfig wlan0 essid "myessid" key MYHEXKEY' it -seems- to associate itself with the router. But still no browsing ze internets.

Did you run dhcpd after that? succesfully? what ewaller said + check resolv.conf, maybe put google's nameservers in there.

#10 2012-02-14 23:18:38

pateratoomie

first off, thanks for the input, fellas! Appreciate it.

Here's what 'ip route' has to say when Networkmanager is running:

default via 192.168.2.1 dev wlan0 proto static
192.168.2.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.2.102 metric 2

Here's what it says when netcfg is running:

default via 192.168.2.1 dev wlan0 metric 303
192.168.2.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.2.102 metric 303

Sooo... look pretty normal, or what. Neither reflects a functioning connection though.

Chipset is AR9285. That other number I mentioned is the wired controller.

'ip link set wlan0 up' works, so I don't think its an RFKILL issue

iwlist wlan0 scan just returns 'No scan results' - disheartening

after manually connecting with 'iwconfig wlan essid "barry white" key XXXXXXXXXXXXX' iwconfig says ESSID:"barry white" bus Access Point: Not-Associated

This is worse than Networkmanager, which at least thought it had associated with the routers MAC address.

And running dhcpcd just times out waiting for carrier...

oh lord. I'm only in this apt. another 3 weeks, I'm hoping my next will have a router I can actually look at. I'm at the mercy of others here, I can' t touch the router...  I feel like I'm at wits end... I can use windows in the interim, and for arch, I have this lovely HP netbook. With a beautiful broadcom wireless chip that just works... hehe.

thanks for the help guys... but don't worry about this too much. It'll work out, somehome, with time. (and a new WPA enabled router)

#11 2012-02-19 07:55:52

t1nk3r3r

Given that:
- Your other laptop connects perfectly
- Connection *was* working
- 'No scan results'
- 'Link quality=48/70'
- 'Access Point: Not Associated'

Tells me that it is your wireless hardware.  I would put my money on the antenna connection. 
Did the laptop ever take a tumble?  Ever open the panels and fiddle around?  How hot does it get? 
I would look to see if you can get access to that.  I know my laptop has an access panel on the bottom: for the wireless, along with the RAM slots, and keyboard.
Not sure if you covered connecting from different spots in the room...

Last couple things you could check on the software side is: to verify from the Broadcom that dhcp addressing starts 192.168.2.x (the system can assign itself an ip address w/o a valid connection).
Install another OS, that could answer the driver question.

It's a shame you don't have access to the router (or someone who does).  That would help in cross-checking some things...

Let us know if you figure it out what it really is.

#12 2012-02-25 23:19:35

DuGi

I have the same problem. i can connect to router but cannot ping it. on windows its working ok. kernel 3.2.7, driver ath9k.