You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-04 21:53:24

BashfulBruce

Screen flick when playing movies since changing drivers

I have an S3 Trio64/DX AGP graphics card which when I initially configuredin XF86Config using the s3 driver failed to work. So I loaded the vesa driver and it worked ok, I could play movies in mplayer and aviplayer ok. I then noticed that the refresh rate on the screen could not be increased from 60Hz (xvidtune refused to run). So I booted to knoppix, and noticed it ran with the s3virge driver. Changing to this ment that I could change the refresh rate  to a decent level,  and xvidtune allowed me to tune this. However, regardless of the refresh rate, I now get screen flicker when running movies in any of the media players.

Any ideas please (besides replacing the crap video card as I am skint).

Thank, Bruce

#2 2003-12-04 23:16:50

sarah31
Website

Re: Screen flick when playing movies since changing drivers

you could play with your drive's dma settings.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-12-04 23:21:51

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Is that a single flick?  Or it totally flickers?  I've seen it flicker constantly (in the video window) when using shm and having part of the video covered up or off screen or something...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-12-05 14:04:54

BashfulBruce

The hard drive is SCSI (so I don't think it has the same DMA settings) and also, if I load the vesa driver the issue disappears (just then stuck with low screen refresh rate). 
When playing any video, the right hand side of the playing movie tends to flick about. If i boot into knoppix, it plays it correctly.

Any other ideas.

Thanks

Bruce.

Board footer