You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-15 05:54:56

pivotraze

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root unknown-block

So I am installing Arch in a virtualbox machine, and I get the following error after an upgrade and then reboot.
o6xlrk.png
Fallback image doesn't work either :\ Is there anything I can do?

GRUB:
Normal:
8wab1i.png

Fallback:
znwgzq.png

#2 2012-02-17 10:40:43

xc1024

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root unknown-block

Go to GRUB command line mode (CTRL+c if I remember correctly). Then type in "root (hd" (no quotes) and press tab to let GRUB show you how to complete it. A list of possibilities should pop up, so pick the one that you want to use (the system partition) and update the "root (h0,0)" section if your GRUB config.

The new grub for some reason changed the naming scheme, I think they changed (hd0,0) to (hd0,msdos1) and so on. I had the exact same error yesterday, but with another distro.

#3 2012-03-18 17:09:02

WladyX

I get the same with the latest kernel 3.2.11. Tried editing the grub.cfg with msdos, but no luck.
Any suggestions?

#4 2012-03-18 19:09:05

manzdagratiano

xc1024 wrote:

The new grub for some reason changed the naming scheme, I think they changed (hd0,0) to (hd0,msdos1) and so on.

I believe this is the naming convention since Grub2. The cause of this panic is usually the filesystem type not being identified by the kernel - I used to get it all the time in Slackware when I would forget to build an initrd with ext4 support after a kernel upgrade. In this case, maybe chrooting and then rebuilding the images using mkinitcpio should do the trick?

For the record, my own root partition is ext4, and is booting fine with the stock 3.2.11 kernel in the repositories.

Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

#5 2012-03-18 20:27:46

WladyX

It seems that i had a problem in my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Board footer