You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-17 09:34:08

fait

[Solved] NetworkManager in xmonad

Hi, noob here, just installed arch. I read alot of wiki: Beginners guide, xmonad, NetworkManager and alot of others I can't seem to have less than 15 arch wiki tabs at a time : ).
My problem is that I have a laptop so I need a good automatic network manager so --> "Network Manager" seemed like the obvious choice. I configured everything (as far as I know) just like the wiki told me for xmonad and .xinitrc but when I type the provided command for the network manager applet I get

[fait@gizmatron ~]$ ** Message: applet now removed from the notification a
(nm-applet:730): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

I installed trayer as suggested by the wiki and tried "nm-applet --sm-disable &" as well as "nm-applet" by itself with and without trayer open as well as the script provided in the wiki substituting "stalonetray" with "trayer" Everything seems to just get that error, however, I seem to have wired connectivity (I'm typing this on the problem computer) so if anyone has any insight or links I'd be really grateful : ). Thanks for reading.

edit: code tags don't work? (I removed them "<code>,</code>")

Last edited by fait (2012-02-18 12:35:24)

#2 2012-02-17 09:36:35

RaisedFist
Website

Re: [Solved] NetworkManager in xmonad

#3 2012-02-17 09:42:14

fait

OMG! Two Minutes, that was fast, thanks. I read the whole page earlier and decided that was my next option but I wanted to see if I could resolve this issue with NetworkManager first, I travel alot and whilst I like having control over my computer I really want/need to have my laptop "just work" for lan/internet - the problem is, any other issue I can just "look up" how to fix, but if I have no network connection, then I can't.

#4 2012-02-17 10:30:57

DSpider

The wiki is pretty straightforward. Just add "networkmanager" to the DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf.

Installing the applet gets you a systray icon, from which you can easily change the Wired, Wireless, DSL, etc connection.

What does your ~/.xinitrc file look like? Is there a "ck-launch-session" in there?

Last edited by DSpider (2012-02-17 13:58:44)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-02-17 12:22:13

fait

Yes I installed it, and it works - hence my wired connection. But I need to be able to use my wireless. The wiki says to configure wireless from the applet, if not using gnome, kde, or xfce then use the gnome applet. It mentions nmcli but the page it links to explicitly states that nmcli is to be used to supplement the applet not to replace it. I would post my .xinitrc but shift+insert is not working for anything but back into terminal. It is a copy of the skel file with the additional line "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch xmonad". I need a way to configure wireless through networkmanager, the applet seems like the logical choice but really any way is welcome.

EDIT: Well, I still get the warning in terminal but the applet pops up in trayer, when I click on the network I want I get
** (nm-applet:838): WARNING **: Failed to add/activate connection: (32) Insufficient privaleges.
** (nm-applet:838): WARNING **: Failed to show notification: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files

EDIT2: So I read
"This sometimes may still not be enough. You may have to manually start polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 for network manger to work.

Additionally, the user must either (1) run a PolicyKit authentication agent, such as the one provided by polkit-gnome, or (2) be in a group explicitly granted permissions by the system administrator.

# gpasswd -a youruser wheel "

I am in the wheel group, but I don't know how to manually start "polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1"? Help Please?

Last edited by fait (2012-02-17 12:50:36)

#6 2012-02-17 12:50:11

m0oml

Fait, i am quite new here too using the xmonad on my laptop too but i settled for wicd as its seems lighter, i am very happy with my choice but however cant offer any express opinion as i have never used networkmanager

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd

#7 2012-02-17 12:51:53

fait

Thank you m0oml for the advice, very appreciated. I'll give it a go if networkmanager doesn't work out.

#8 2012-02-18 00:41:15

fait

Well, the wiki says to start things manually - but doesn't tell me how. Google shows me some bug reports from other distros and not much else so I'm going to try something else.

#9 2012-02-18 01:01:31

fait

Switched to wicd as suggested, loving it - alot, very easy, seems to work very well. Thanks everyone who helped especially ----"m0oml"---- !

EDIT: How do I mark as solved?

Last edited by fait (2012-02-18 01:04:12)

#10 2012-02-18 10:40:50

DSpider

You edit the original post, adding "[SOLVED]" to the title.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer