You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-19 06:49:45

Ownaginatious

[POWERPC] Cannot switch tty consoles during install on iBook G4

So no matter what I do, I can't seem to properly switch TTY consoles during installation.

If I press FN-ALT-F[1-5], I end up at a console with a blinking cursor and nothing else. If I try to get back to where I came from (TTY1 I guess), I can't - I'm stuck at the screen with the blinking cursor. The only way I can get out is with CTRL-ALT-DELETE-FN or by restarting my computer.

Anyone know how to resolve this? My installing keeps failing during the package install and I can't get to TTY5 to figure out why.

Thanks!

#2 2012-03-01 15:03:13

MrE

Re: [POWERPC] Cannot switch tty consoles during install on iBook G4

I ran into this recently, and it drove me up the wall! After a lot of trial and error I figured out the correct order in which to press the keys.

1. press and hold <option (alt)>
2. press and hold <fn>
3. now press the desired function key

As long as you keep holding <option> + <fn>, you can keep switching consoles. If you get the blinking cursor on a black screen, that means you pressed <option> + <fn> simultaneously - simply let go of both keys, then press them in the above order.

Happy switching!

Last edited by MrE (2012-03-01 15:04:05)

My new username is now Aerion in order to match my username on the AUR, Wiki and Bug Reports.

#3 2012-03-01 19:45:25

Ownaginatious

Re: [POWERPC] Cannot switch tty consoles during install on iBook G4

Ah, thank you kind sir.

I knew someone would answer this eventually. I'll have to try it when I get home.

Board footer