You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-20 15:44:11

lkraemer

[SOLVED] - Arch Fresh Install - Errors

I have a few ERRORS from a Fresh Install that I need a bit of help with:

1.  I've created a user (larry) and added myself to audio,lp,optical,wheel,storage,video,power,scanner and inserted the password.
     But when I try to login with user larry and my password, I am unable to login.  (My password is the same as root and I can login
     as root.)  Is there a way to reset my user password without deleting user larry?  I don't want to lose the files I have in /home/larry.

2.  In /var/log/xorg.0.log I have an error displayed:
     (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev"
     I've searched and found that I might also need to use pacman -S xf86-video-fbdev  Do I also need to install this package even though
     I have the xf86-video-intel (i915 Video Driver is used in Debian 6) installed?  Some postings say don't use it as it is SLOW?  I haven't
     a clue????

3.  My .xinitrc in /home/user has startxfce4 enabled, but xfce never starts.  But, I can ONLY login as root, and that might be causing the
     problem by not using /home/larry/.xinitrc  I've only got two partitions on my USB Flash Drive and they are / (1.95 Gig) and also
     /home (1.96 Gig).  I'd like to get Arch running from USB Flash Drive before I install on a Hard Drive.  If I am logged in as root, how can
     I get xfce to start

4.  I installed the ttf-dejavu fonts with pacman -S ttf-dejavu   I got an error stating: mkfontscale:  /usr/lib/libz.so.1 Version ZLIB_1.2.5.2 NOT FOUND!
     How do I correct this missing lib problem?

I've got my Wifi working via a small script, so far I've kept fixing the errors/problems and I'm keeping a log so I can duplicate the process.
I just need a bit of help getting the above issues solved.  When XFCE finally runs as my Desktop I'll be happy.

Thanks.

Larry

Last edited by lkraemer (2012-02-21 15:16:34)

#2 2012-02-20 16:05:25

RaisedFist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] - Arch Fresh Install - Errors

1. as root, run passwd larry and change your password

2. if you have the intel driver installed, you don't need fbdev, AFAIK

3. as root, you should create a ~root/.xinitrc file and you should be fine. but if you'll have your username working I don't see why you'd use root

4. is zlib installed? pacman -S zlib

#3 2012-02-20 16:07:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

1) check for typos, and check you caps lock.  Other than that I'll let other people help as it's out of my expertise.

2) That error is perfectly normal - don't ask me why.  It is safe to ignore that message.

3) Yes, if you are logged in as root, startx/xinit will not read your user's xinitrc ... it will read the root or system default xinitrc which, if you followed the beginners guide, should start a TWM session.  Did you follow the beginners guide?  How did you go about installing X?  Did the TWM test session work?

4) If you did not install Xorg properly, then this may be expected ... so focus on #3 first, then worry about fonts.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-02-20 16:08:08)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-02-20 16:33:29

lkraemer

Triliby/RaisedFist,
THANKS for the QUICK answers.

I fixed #1 by editing the /etc/shadow file to copy the encoded password from root to larry.  It was the hard way, but the easiest once I located
the password.  WHEW!!!!  Your way will be much easier!

As for #2 I went ahead and installed the fbdev  But, I guess now I need to remove it.  Or should I remove it?

For #3, I followed the Beginners Guide for installing Xorg, and the TWM Desktop does show up.  My problem is now I don't know how to
properly exit.  I don't have CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE enabled yet.  Is there another way to exit properly?  If I click on the Menu's EXIT
selection I can never get the Menu back?

For #4, I'll install zlib..... That's easy.

In tty1 I also have this error:
Symbol lookup error:  /usr/lib/libgtk-X11-2.so  Undefined symbol g-datalist_get_data
ALSO:
thunarx-warning:  Failed to load plugin `thunar-sbr.so`: libpcre.so.1

The second Warning is repeated at least 4-5 times.

THANKS.

Larry

#5 2012-02-20 17:06:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

1) Congrats.
2) You can remove it, but I don't think it should matter; it will likely only take up a bit of space.
3) Glad that's working.  This means X is set up well.  If you do find yourself in the TWM environment again, the default is pretty vanilla.  To exit I believe you just type "exit" into each terminal, when there are no running 'clients' remaining, TWM and X quit.  Alternately, you can Ctrl-Atl-F1 to get to tty1 (or where ever you ran startx/xinit from) and hit Ctrl-C to force-quit X.

Other) X can be fairly verbose.  I don't think those warnings are anything to be concerned with, unless they seem related to a feature you are lacking.  It is common for programs to try one feature and fall-back on another if it is not available.  I suspect the gtk warning is just this sort.  I get a boatload of gtk warnings whenever I run many gui apps, but everything works fine.  The thunar error is likely because you don't have one of the addons installed.  Thunar has many bells and whistles that can be added, and it may be checking for all of them when it starts.  The warning says one of them is not there.  If it's a feature you want, check out the thunar wiki's and install the required packages - otherwise, I suspect it's safe to ignore.

Do you have Xfce up and running?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2012-02-20 17:19:41

lkraemer

OK, I've got Issues 1 thru 4 corrected.  But I still get a flashing display (about 4-5 times) when xfce starts.
It's as if it is trying to write to the screen because I see a flash of the xfce logo in the center of the screen
about 4-5 times.  Then the display goes dark.  I'm out of ideas?

Suggestions?

I'm installing on a Centon 4Gig USB Flash drive until I get it working.  Then I'll play a bit and proceed.
My USB Flash Drive is plugged into my ASUS KF52F-BIN6 Laptop.

THANKS.

Larry

Last edited by lkraemer (2012-02-20 17:23:52)

#7 2012-02-20 18:25:25

lkraemer

Trilby/RaisedFist,
THANKS for the HELP!  I got it working.  I'm posting online via ARCH with XFCE running correctly.

I think adding zlib did the trick.  (pacman -S zlib)

I've installed Firefox, PSI (Pidgin look-alike) and I'm surfing & chatting with my Brother.
He will want this for his Project versus TinyCore (CorePlus). 

I just hope my notes are good enough to duplicate the process.  Now on to more installing/playing.

Larry

Last edited by lkraemer (2012-02-20 18:26:35)

Board footer