You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-17 00:38:21

r00tH4cK3r

[SOLVED]Small issue with wpa_supplicant

Hello Arch Linux community. I would like to start off by saying that Arch is my favorite distrobution and I love everything about it!

I am, however, having a small issue with installing it on the desktop (this system is running Arch + XFCE4).

My desktop uses a Linksys Wireless adapter, model WMP54G. I made sure it was supported by the Linux kernel before attempting, and it indeed is. The issue is with wpa_supplicant.
The Network I am trying to connect to, is my home network, encryption type WPA-TKIP. I can get the interface up, scanning, and can even make the wpa_supplicant file, but for some reason cannot get it to associate with the wifi adapter. On an older version of Arch I had a similiar issue, it would connect but drop right after.

I am experienced enough with Arch to handle my way from there, but this little snag seems to thwart my configuration attempts. I would hate to be forced to not run my favorite Linux, because of such a small issue. So any help would be appreciated, thank you kindly.

Much respect and Thanks,

r00tH4cK3r

Last edited by r00tH4cK3r (2012-02-25 16:03:38)

#2 2012-02-17 01:21:00

Roken

Re: [SOLVED]Small issue with wpa_supplicant

Are you also running dhcpcd after starting wpa_supplicant? I had no end of trouble until I figured that one out.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#3 2012-02-17 01:37:06

r00tH4cK3r

Roken wrote:

Are you also running dhcpcd after starting wpa_supplicant? I had no end of trouble until I figured that one out.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I tried dhcpcd wlan0, and it would return errors, unable to connect to host and various other connection errors that i cant remember off hand. the only thing i can think of was that my wpa_supplicant config file wasn't setup correctly, but i followed the wiki so i dont see how that would be the case.

If wiring it somehow and installing wicd was an option id just do that and be done with it, but I cannot. My option right now, at least until I can get connected to the internet to change software, is wpa_supplicant + dhcpcd. However if anyone has any ideas for alternatives or suggestions I am more than open to them all, thanks.

Last edited by r00tH4cK3r (2012-02-17 03:04:51)

#4 2012-02-17 10:01:16

Roken

How are you starting wpa - as a process from rc.local or as a daemon in rc.conf? I found I also had problems running it as a daemon, but starting it in rc.local worked fine. You could try running without backgrounding and see what kind of output you are getting, which may point to the problem. Perhaps also post your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (password/key suitably obfuscated) - strip it down to the essentials if you've simply doctored the sample file (we don't need the hundreds of lines of comments).

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#5 2012-02-20 03:38:11

r00tH4cK3r

Roken wrote:

How are you starting wpa - as a process from rc.local or as a daemon in rc.conf? I found I also had problems running it as a daemon, but starting it in rc.local worked fine. You could try running without backgrounding and see what kind of output you are getting, which may point to the problem. Perhaps also post your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (password/key suitably obfuscated) - strip it down to the essentials if you've simply doctored the sample file (we don't need the hundreds of lines of comments).

Not sure honestly. Basically i just followed a simple process:

1. Make sure wlan0 is up and functioning
2. Scan for the network, and configure the wpa_supplicant file
3. Try to connect to the internet

On an older version I could get it to connect but it wouldn't stay up. I am thinking that it would be a lot easier to setup with an unsecure network, am I right? I have a neighbor that would let me use his net, which is unsecure, to do this. So I am planning to eventually try that, and if it works I'll probably install Fluxbox or Awesome. I am pretty experienced with everything else, I just need some brushing up on wpa_supplicant. Sorry for the long reply, I was building a system theme for this PC, because I am a member of a theme site and was doing that waiting for a reply here, and didn't realize that there were already replies after my last post, so I am sorry about that.

I appreciate all help and advice given. If anyone has any pointers, advice, or workarounds, I am more than open to hearing them. Arch Linux is awesome and I love configuring it, just I need a little more experience with wpa_supplicant, at least to get it working long enough for me to configure a desktop environment and install wicd as my network manager. Thanks again,

r00t

#6 2012-02-20 10:55:01

Roken

OK - it would help to see the contents of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. You can obscure the password before posting. If it's a long file, put it on pastebin and just provide the link here.

Linux user #545703

#7 2012-02-23 01:42:16

r00tH4cK3r

Roken wrote:

OK - it would help to see the contents of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. You can obscure the password before posting. If it's a long file, put it on pastebin and just provide the link here.

no need. i was able to get around it with netcfg, thanks for all the help thoughj

#8 2012-02-23 02:24:56

Avant-texte

Than congradulations are in order and this can be marked as solved. smile

This is probably also a good time to point out for newcomers that it may be easier to get up and running with netcfg or some other network manager over handling things like wpa_supplicant directly.

Board footer