You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-06 01:33:37

Hutchy

When it Comes2 current

G,Day There AnyOne , Just wondering,  I noticed on my search of Distro Watch looking at different Distros ,  in the section in regards 2 what stage Arch is upto with packages & the versions of Arch available , I found it stated that Current was the latest  next to 0.7 Wombat. with release date 8-5-05  Now when I press to download Current it comes up as 0.7 with last modified 25-1-05. What I want to know then what exactly is current & if there is a Current I can DownLoad it ,then how can I Download it & what does it really all stand for. Anyone UnderStand what I am getting at? Thanks ,Just a Bit Confused

Yibbidee Yibbida

#2 2005-08-06 02:32:37

elasticdog
Website

Re: When it Comes2 current

Arch uses a rolling release system, so the CD image is just a snapshot of the repositories on a certain date, although packages are constantly being upgraded.

Once you install the base system off of a cd, then you can update your entire machine with one command to have the latest versions of all your software downloaded directly from the repositories.  It's good practice to make sure you upgrade pacman first (that's the package manager for Arch) by typing this on the command line:

# pacman -Sy pacman

...and then you can update everything else by simply typing:

# pacman -Syu

Does that answer your question?

#3 2005-08-06 10:22:12

Hutchy

Thanks, ,Good explanation, When do you think or does anyone know when next version will be out? As I am thinking if its going to be within the next few weeks then I might wait for it to come out or would updating Arch the way  explained do the same thing?

Yibbidee Yibbida

#4 2005-08-06 10:50:52

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Yup, it would do exactly the same.  The release of an 0.8 ISO may not be for months smile

#5 2005-08-06 12:20:15

jackmetal

Absolutely!  Do an ftp install and you'll start out with the latest and greatest!

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

#6 2005-08-06 15:33:41

ozar

Yep, there's nothing to be gained by waiting.  Just do a quick ftp install and you are there...   8)

oz

#7 2005-08-09 04:29:57

Hutchy

Okey , Very Convincing.  I have downoaded 0.7  &  am now looking 4 a bit of advice regarding install. I did some research in forum & wiki but  would be interested in some advice from a user or 2 , I noticed when I went to try & install Arch that it said that it was best to just do a Base install first, worry about pkgs later on after install. AnyWay I seem to understand the precedure 4 installing Arch using "Nano" etc (editor). but want to know what really is the best kind of install to do .Minimal ,Max or Everything you need,   And I seemed to have missed being able to add a user & password. AnyWay  , Thanks Hutchy

Yibbidee Yibbida

#8 2005-08-09 08:22:42

tlilja

I usually do the base install from the CD, then upgrade pacman

pacman -Sy pacman

after that I slowly start to collect everything I need, in my case at least xorg, Xfce4, mplayer, xine and the codecs, Firefox and Thunderbird

pacman -Sy xfce4 xfce4-goodies mplayer xine mozilla-firefox mozilla-thunderbird

after those I upgrade all the rest on my system (at the moment using testing)

pacman -Syu

I don't see the point in doing a full installation if you have even the slightest idea what programs you'll be using.

Oh, and you can create your user with the adduser command for example.

Just your basic anime otaku some might even call nijikon.

#9 2005-08-09 09:27:35

scarecrow

If doing an FTP install from the 0.7 ISO, just omit devfsd from the base packages (so you won't have to change manually to udev later) and after grabbing the latest stuff you will have an install-once, enjoy-for-ever Arch Linux. Just don't mess too much with "testing" and "unstable" until you really get familiar with the OS.
Occasional system snapshots (e.g. with partimage) are generally a good idea before major upgrades, but not 100% needed.

Microshaft delenda est

#10 2005-08-09 14:17:46

jackmetal

I typically do a base only ftp install first.

Then: pacman -Sy pacman
And then I load all the progs I want/need.

From then on just run pacman -Syu and you'll always be up to the latest.

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

Board footer