You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-14 18:19:45

l0ner
Website

Trinity Desktop Environment Installation and Usage on Arch

This is topic for all those having problems with installation and usage of Trinity Desktop Environment. If your problem is trinity related post here.

Some questions from other thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=97612&p=4

kwd wrote:

l0ner

I just tried to finish a previous installation of trinity-kdebase.  This was because that installation terminated in the middle of the install--when Trinity's server died in December.

When I tried it a couple of days ago, I got a lot of "mirror not found" messages for:

libraw1394
cifs-utils
smbclient

and then the AUR install shuts down.

Did you do pacman -Sy before trying to resume building trinity? Packages you listed come from the arch repos and are not part of trinity (but they are trinity dependencies). When they got updated the version change, and thus change the filename of package  in arch repo. If you have outdated local package list, pacman will search for package versions that don't exist anymore.

kwd wrote:

1 - I need to remove the previously atemped install files and start all over?

Theoretically no, since no changes were made to the package groups and names. But you should update them. That means rebuilding them. Removal, unless you want to be really sure everything goes fine, shouldn't be necessary.
Please note that the trinity internal dependencies were changed so some of previously installed packages will become useless. The current dependency chain up to trinity-kdebase is: trinity-qt3, trinity-tqtinterface, trinity-arts, trinity-dbus-tqt, trinity-kdelibs, trinity-kdebase.

kwd wrote:

2 - If you can still install all of Trinity by installing trinity-kdebase?

Yes, unless you use our split-pkgbuild available in trinity git. You won't get though the applications provided by trinity-extras packages (again, look at trinity git repository tde-packaging) [http://git.trinitydesktop.org/cgit/tde- … rch/3.5.13].

kwd wrote:

3 - If the trinity-kdebase install works "as is" or if you need to do anything special to make it work?

You will need hal, hal-info and libutempter from aur. First one is needed for trinity-kdebase, last one is needed for trinity-kdelibs.

kwd wrote:

4 - If I need to install the Arch Febuary updates before I install the current version of Trinity?

Honestly, dunno, since I test the pkgbuilds on up-to-date system. I know that you need to recompile trinity after updating (problems with libpng) but otherwise everything should work.

Last edited by l0ner (2012-02-14 18:27:41)

#2 2012-02-22 22:11:45

kwd

Re: Trinity Desktop Environment Installation and Usage on Arch

This last week has been a nightmare.  Not because of Trinity but because of Arch.

When I tried to continue the Trinity install from last year, it wouldn't build.

I tried upgrading my system with "pacman -Syu", planning on finishing the install of Trinity afterwords, but the upgrade wouldn't work either

So I gave up on trying to continue the original December 2011 Trinity install, because of too many error messages--most of which made no sense.

Then I decided to start over from scratch. I reinstalled Arch from the most recent ISO image. When I tried to do a pacman -Syu--the same error messages mentioned above were still there.  I did a lot of research and found that I had to remove a specific language file and then use --force to install the filesystem file.  After that, I was able to upgrade the system.

After the upgrade, I could not get pacman 4 to work with the new public key system.  Many hours and a lot of searching on Google later--I gave up and set "TrustAll" on, in the pacman.conf file and was able to start building hal and Trinity.

I then installed hal-info and libutempter using yaourt without any problems. When I tried to install hal, at the end of the build I got a bunch of "unknown key" error messages and it refused to install.  I tried installing it at least 3 times and got the same message.  On the 4th try--with no changes to anything--it compiled without a problem.

I then tried to install trinity-kdebase.  The first attempt had a lot of unknown key errors like hal did, and failed as well, so I restarted it again, hoping it would be like hal where multiple attempts finally made it work.

After several hours, the second install attempt worked--again with no changes in anything I did...

I tried starting Trinity and Xwindows--in several different ways, using the ramblings on the Trinity pages on the Arch wiki--with no results. I reinstalled Trinity again hoping this might fix things but it didn't.  It was possible that installing Xorg-server after Trinity was the problem and that is why I reinstalled Trinity for the third time, but as I said it didn't help.

I've had it--not with Trinity--but with Arch.  The 2012 upgrade of Arch and Pacman 4 reminds me of the first release of KDE4--it's nowhere near ready for new users.  I also had several other minor problems, like the terminal not working right and hot plugging usb sticks messing up my terminal, etc--which has convinced me Arch doesn't have the stability I need.

I'm leaving Arch,  I spent several months learning it and trying to get Trinity to work because I really I liked the stated goals and ideas of Arch.  I'm going to go try Slackware.  Apparently they are seriously into stability and they have Trinity.

Thanks for all your help  I0ner.

Keith

"A newspaper is not just for reporting news,
it's to get people mad enough to do something about it."

--Mark Twain

#3 2012-02-23 21:37:29

Lone_Wolf

kwd wrote:

Then I decided to start over from scratch. I reinstalled Arch from the most recent ISO image. When I tried to do a pacman -Syu--the same error messages mentioned above were still there.  I did a lot of research and found that I had to remove a specific language file and then use --force to install the filesystem file.  After that, I was able to upgrade the system.

After the upgrade, I could not get pacman 4 to work with the new public key system.  Many hours and a lot of searching on Google later--I gave up and set "TrustAll" on, in the pacman.conf file and was able to start building hal and Trinity.

If you ever try archlinux again , best put a big sign on your workplace :

READ news on http://www.archlinux.org/ BEFORE updating

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2012-03-07 17:41:59

kwd

Lone_Wolf

RE: http://www.archlinux.org/

I found that page after much research and Google'n.  The two announcements and their contents would probably have alerted users  who had had experience with installation and fixing problems and informed them as to what to do.  First time users and newbies trying to learn--would not have a clue that the title and description of the installation problems of the mentioned packages had anything to do with their problem of trying to upgrade a new install from a CD to the most recent packages--especially given the keywords they would be likely to use in their searches.

But more importantly, to me, didn't anyone test the ISO image and try to update it to the most recent packages--before they put it up for public download?  Let's say they did test it but didn't try a full upgrade afterwards.  I can see that, since it is possible there wasn't anything to upgrade.  The question then becomes: after the problem was discovered, why didn't they fix the ISO image so later users would not face this problem.

The above and the pacman public key usage problem is what made me reconsider using Arch.  I don't mind learning, or configuring everything by hand (unless it gets ridiculous like the pacman public key issue) but I much prefer an OS that I feel has been tested and any problems found fixed so that new users don't have to keep dealing with unfixed installation problems.

Keith

"A newspaper is not just for reporting news,
it's to get people mad enough to do something about it."

--Mark Twain

Board footer