You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-26 19:03:48

Hspasta
Website

[SOLVED]Connect to Printer Network and Print

I've been trying to print at my university with their printing network and I haven't been able to figure out how. Apparently its a Windows printer via Samba.

On windows, I just connect to their printer server, give my user account and password and I can connect to any printer.

I can't find anything on Arch to replicate that. I tried CUPS and add the printers through the web interface, but I feel like I'm not doing it right...

Last edited by Hspasta (2012-02-26 23:59:06)

#2 2012-02-26 20:27:33

David Batson

Re: [SOLVED]Connect to Printer Network and Print

I believe you need the avahi daemon running for network printer discovery.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi

It looks like you also need samba installed.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS#Installing

#3 2012-02-26 22:35:26

Hspasta
Website

So I think I'm on the right path. I can ping the printer server. I've installed all the necessary packages. I've added an entry on the CUPS web interface that points to the printer on the server. Now I think the problem is that I don't know how to send my credentials so that I'm authenticated to print. How do I go about doing this?

#4 2012-02-26 22:40:33

ewaller
Administrator

Hspasta wrote:

So I think I'm on the right path. I can ping the printer server. I've installed all the necessary packages. I've added an entry on the CUPS web interface that points to the printer on the server. Now I think the problem is that I don't know how to send my credentials so that I'm authenticated to print. How do I go about doing this?

The printer address in cups should be of the form smb://username:password@printername.  Later, in the cups interface, the username and password are not displayed.  I am the only user of this laptop, so I don't loose a lot of sleep knowing that my clear text Samba password is stored on this computer, somewhere.

Edit: Fixed 2 typos

Last edited by ewaller (2012-02-27 00:47:43)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2012-02-26 23:58:57

Hspasta
Website

I got it to work.

Thanks for all the help!

#6 2012-02-27 00:00:33

ewaller
Administrator

Hspasta wrote:

I got it to work.

Thanks for all the help!

For the benefit of your fellow members, what did you do?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2012-02-27 00:24:14

Hspasta
Website

I just passed the smb connection in CUPS like you said with username:password@printer and that worked.

Board footer