You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-28 23:35:43

mandos
Website

[SOLVED] messed up file permissions under /var

In my system I had /var on a seperate partition and on another physical disk along with /home and /srv.
So I have a disk for / and a disk for /home, /srv and /var (with partitions).

Yesterday I changed the second disk, so I did what seemed logical at the time: copied everything to an external usb hdd, which might have been NTFS.
I installed the new HDD, created the partitions restored the data and fixed fstab to point to the new disk. Then I removed the old HDD.

The problem is that ALL files/folders have 777 in their permissions. This wasn't a problem for /home since it had very little data inside, but everything under /var is 777.

The main question is: How much of problem is this?

How can it be fixed (if it can be fixed...)?
At the moment I'm chmoding each folder by hand according to an older pc with arch.

Any help is welcomed and appreciated, thnx!

edit: solved this by manually chmoding each file/folder...

Last edited by mandos (2012-03-01 05:13:03)

#2 2012-02-29 00:17:52

skunktrader

Re: [SOLVED] messed up file permissions under /var

The problem is that NTFS has no concept of linux ownership / permissions.  If the old HDD still works, you could create tar files of the entire filesystem which will retain ownership / permissions when untarred.  If the old HDD does not work you will be forced to chmod/chown each file.

I would just reinstall if the old image was gone.

#3 2012-02-29 00:28:43

mandos
Website

Re: [SOLVED] messed up file permissions under /var

First of all thanks for the reply.

The old image is gone, I thought I backed everything up (I saw the permissions afterwards). At the moment I reinstalled mysql, it is working. Apache needed some folders to be created in /var, I made them and is working now.
For everything else I'm chmoding by hand, I'm almost finishing this and hopefully it will be ok smile

Reinstalling arch would be a viable option but the installer-cd (2011.08) has serious issues installing on a GPT disk and since I managed to do it I prefer to avoid doing it again unless absolutely necessary.

The good thing is that now /home and /srv are safe (my old disk was really old) and in their own partitions so any system changes, if they happen, won't be doing them any damage!

Board footer