You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-29 03:33:46

Kebertx

Simple question about Pacman...

I'm not having any problem at all at the moment, I'm just curious about something.

Pacman has an -r option. You can use it to change the installation root of a program. I want to know if I can install extra software onto a Live CD by mounting the disk image and just using

sudo pacman -r /tmp/iso -S someapplication

Then I could dismount the image, burn it to a CD, and run that application off that live CD. I would try this if I were only sure it would work. Don't want to wast a disk, you know? No problem here. No urgency. I just would like to know...

Yes or no? Am I missing something, or shall I proceed?

#2 2012-02-29 09:26:26

Blµb

Re: Simple question about Pacman...

More or less, but the system alone isn't enough, you also need a bootloader on the medium, so I recomment reading up on live-cds / boot media in general, and/or then try making a bootable ISO image, and first testing it in some virtualization software before burning.

You know you're paranoid when you start thinking random letters while typing a password.
A good post about vim
Python has no multithreading.

#3 2012-02-29 11:11:05

DSpider

So what you're asking is how do you create your own personalized LiveCD.

What, google wasn't much help?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Building_a_Live_CD

There are rewritable CD's on the market, you know... But come on, use a USB stick, ffs. They're dirt cheap now. Personally I haven't burned a CD or DVD for about 5 years now, ever since I bought a 500 GB external HDD. To be honest, I don't see why you'd want to run something from a CD anyway. Because it's Read-Only? It's also slow as a giraffe turd on a highway. You can load an entire ISO into RAM (link) and then pull out the USB stick. There. Now it doesn't even have access to it anymore. Problem solved.

I bet you still use floppy disks, don't you?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-02-29 13:58:48

Kebertx

DSpider wrote:

I bet you still use floppy disks, don't you?

Only on my Power PC smile

Entire post is duly noted, I should be testing ideas in virtualbox instead of foruming for answers. Also, that's many other fun things for me to play with, so twice thank you!

Last edited by Kebertx (2012-02-29 14:01:10)

Board footer