You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-29 14:45:57

DSpider

Can you please extract the skull and replace it with the Arch logo?

http://jonzy.deviantart.com/art/Hackint … -112694381

I would like just the dirt background, and, if possible replace the skull with the Arch logo. I tried reaching the author but he hasn't posted anything since October.

I was thinking of cutting it somewhere in the middle to fit 1920x1080 without scaling it, but that damn skull is in the way!

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2012-02-29 23:50:42

allen875
Website

Re: Can you please extract the skull and replace it with the Arch logo?

I did what I could to remove it see if it's good enough for your purpose, URL MOD-REMOVED by ngoonee

Last edited by ngoonee (2012-03-01 01:10:49)

#3 2012-02-29 23:51:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I trust that you have checked how this fits with the license the image is released under?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2012-03-01 00:13:00

allen875
Website

HaHa, NOT ME! Can't say that I care much if your not planning to make any money from it or advertise it as an official wallpaper.

#5 2012-03-01 00:34:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

So, do you feel the same way about the GPL or any of the other licenses that allow you to run free software?

#6 2012-03-01 00:45:13

allen875
Website

I have nothing against the GPL or other license they are all needed, I am just speaking in the context of an image being used as a wallpaper for personal use. In this context NO I don't care about the license, just my opinion on the matter.

#7 2012-03-01 00:54:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Why do you consider licenses are needed if you are happy to ignore them?

The author makes this stuff available on the condition that their rights (however they are proscribed) are respected. Aside from the question of legality (and the Etiquette is very clear on that), it would seem the decent thing to do would be acknowledge that right and check before publishing a derivative work on a public website.

#8 2012-03-01 00:55:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Everything is for personal use though.  I mean I kind of agree allen, but I agree in the context of me finding and image online, editing it myself, and using it myself for my own desktop wallpaper.  It would be a bit different if I were to find an image, edit it, then redistribute the edited version on a public forum .... even if this is only for the 'personal use' of others.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2012-03-01 01:01:15

allen875
Website

Look don't come at me all high and mighty like you have never ignored a license for something put on the internet if you had I think I will tell the vatican you should be named a saint.

#10 2012-03-01 01:10:31

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

allen875 wrote:

Look don't come at me all high and mighty like you have never ignored a license for something put on the internet if you had I think I will tell the vatican you should be named a saint.

No need to get personal, licenses have a purpose and disagreements should be factual rather than based on personal insults.

I'm removing the link (and have sent it directly to the OP along with short notes to check on this discussion).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#11 2012-03-01 01:10:53

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

So, do you feel the same way about the GPL or any of the other licenses that allow you to run free software?

I think that's a bit of a stretch... If you should ask anyone, that'd be the OP, not him.

Last edited by .:B:. (2012-03-01 01:11:24)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#12 2012-03-01 01:13:12

desm0tes
Website

Trilby got it right: Usually licenses allow you to edit an image for personal use - this might include sharing this edited work with a friend.
Redistributing it in any way (like linking it on a public forum or even directly sharing it with a stranger) is however often not allowed.

I often get requests to share my wallpapers via deviantArt - but unless I'm absolutely sure they are allowed to be edited and redistributed, I don't...even if they are posted anonymously on 4chan or likewise. Simply because it's a matter of respect to the creator and the terms under which he shared his creation with the public.

And because of this, I take no information on a license as no copyleft license, not allowing me to remix and redistribute a work.

PS: If the vatican is what comes to your mind when thinking of saints, you're doomed. wink

#13 2012-03-01 01:14:35

allen875
Website

I'm am not trying to make this personal at all, based on my opinion of image editing for personal use I was just trying to help a fellow human being with there request.

#14 2012-03-01 01:25:13

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

.:B:. wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

I think that's a bit of a stretch... If you should ask anyone, that'd be the OP, not him.

No: my point was about the derivative work - which, for example, under the GPL is permitted if that derived work is published under the same licence. I agree the OP should have been more mindful of the license, but they didn't publish the derivative work.

What I was trying to get across is that, as a community, we are dependant upon people respecting licences, and that isn't (or shouldn't be) a selective process where you ignore them when it is convenient.

#15 2012-03-01 01:28:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I didn't mean to sound confrontational.  I don't think there is reason for anyone to point fingers - in the "electronic age" information is exchanged so easily that it is easy to not think about licensing issues.  I have quite often been guilty of this myself.

As a forum representing a really awesome FOSS distro, though, I think we should all be ready to keep an eye on each other so none of us *accidentally* engages in activity that would further some unfortunate and undeserved reputations of linux users among the more 'main stream' OS's.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#16 2012-03-01 01:35:29

/dev/zero

allen875 wrote:

I'm am not trying to make this personal at all, based on my opinion of image editing for personal use I was just trying to help a fellow human being with there request.

If you want to help OP, how about a tutorial on how to do this in Gimp?

Whether or not you agree with obeying copyright laws to the letter - and certainly many of us don't - the forum guidelines are clear.

#17 2012-03-01 01:43:00

allen875
Website

Your correct on the forum guidelines issue /dev/zero and for that I apologize, I wasn't thinking of the rules when doing this and yes I know the rules are put there to protect this forum from action by any authorities.

#18 2012-03-01 01:59:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

DSpider,
Here's a license-free attempt at a similar image at the size you need.

This was created from scratch in GIMP using the other just as "inspiration" or a target aesthetic.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-03-01 02:00:26)

#19 2012-03-01 02:04:39

desm0tes
Website

[advertisement]
Perhaps you like this, too wink
[/advertisement]

#20 2012-03-01 02:15:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

allen875 wrote:

Your correct on the forum guidelines issue /dev/zero and for that I apologize, I wasn't thinking of the rules when doing this and yes I know the rules are put there to protect this forum from action by any authorities.

While this IS true, rules are ALSO for more altruistic reasons than merely "let's not get in trouble" smile. For example respecting the rights of creators.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#21 2012-03-01 09:48:43

DSpider

Wow. I did not expect to find 19 posts about licensing...

He did not select a license. The license is optional when you upload something on DevianART.

T6bRw.png

"With a Creative Commons license, you can allow people to use, copy, and share your work while giving you credit."

You have to specify a license if you don't want people to create derivative work from it. For example, this one: http://desm0tes.deviantart.com/art/Linu … -283745072, which unfortunately says "No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work."

It's a wallpaper, for crying out loud! Those really restrictive licenses have a big-ass watermark on them. It's probably so ambiguous because he enabled printing after he submitted it (which comes up by default). He probably wanted the screen to go away so he just clicked the "Submit Print" button at the end.

ngoonee, I haven't received any short notes or links. Where, exactly, do I check for PM's ?

Edit: Oh. Check my email.

Thanks, allen875! I'll see if I can smooth it out a little bit in the centre. There are still some trails left. Too bad though. The skull just ruins an otherwise great wallpaper.

Thank you, Trilby as well... I appreciate for trying.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-03-01 10:05:14)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#22 2012-03-01 14:52:40

desm0tes
Website

Actually, dA allows you to specify a license, but only CC ones. If you want a more restrictive license, you may add that, too.
Adding a Watermark is a completely different thing, disallowing a simple download of the image.

But thanks for the info on the wallpapers - I am used to use the - no derivative works - on my Desktop Screenshots, because they are Desktop Screenshots...and sometimes because I ain't sure, whether the wallpapers are allowed to be shared, too... On these wallpapers it's an accident, and was supposed to be - share alike - (to which it is changed now).

Board footer