You are not logged in.

#26 2005-08-08 16:23:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Archie GIS project seeks pacman/srcpac GUI frontend dev

OT: how long did it take for berlios to get back to you about setting up the project?  I have applied there too so we can access the CVS for abs smile

#27 2005-08-08 16:25:32

arooaroo
Website

Not long. I think I applied on a Sunday morning and I heard back Tuesday morning.

#28 2005-08-08 16:28:11

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I'll give em a bit longer yet then - I guess they go over stuff on Mondays and get round to it Tuesdays smile  I applied Saturday AM

#29 2005-08-08 16:29:11

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Is the srcpac frontend you speak of sudstyle abs?  If so...that's ain't quite srcpac wink

#30 2005-08-08 16:33:12

arooaroo
Website

Er... hang on, I'll have to check - I could have sworn it was a srcpac front-end!!

Now you mention it, you may be right. I've just written to him to beg him to contribute his *srcpac* code to Jacman.

/me has egg on his face.

Oh well, me and SoniX are more than capible even if I've got my facts wrong.

#31 2005-08-08 16:43:56

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Three heads would be better than two anyway, right?  I just assumed that sudman1 wasn't aware of srcpac when he made sudstyle abs - if you pm'ed him it will still be in your outbox if he has not yet read it smile

#32 2005-08-08 17:28:13

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Actually,  I just took a look through the srcpac code and it is hugely over-complicated for AEGIS purposes!  I never even thought to think of that!  It would provide a more complete approach tho...

The only thing it lacks though is the ability to install a pkg without an associated dbase entry because the sync install command will not work

I'm having second thoughts about the whole install from src for half the pkgs anyway now - if we can get hosting and mirroring services then what is the point?  We might as well just use full pkgs!  I know people said that before but bandwidth was a concern then - well, it still could be...

#33 2005-08-09 15:47:55

arooaroo
Website

Hmm... I could have sworn that I posted a comment here but it's not here anymore....

Anyway, after your epiphany, could you clarify what it is you now need. Integrating srcpac in to Jacman has been on the cards for a while. However, if there's no pressure to get it in, then we can take our time with that for now and perhaps add the simplier tweaks.

On a side note, what happened to the py/gtk GUI that was discussed in this thread? Did it ever get off the ground? I'm intrigued because if the python/gtk/libpypacman is so easy then we should have an abundance of front ends, right? Anyway, if anything was done by Z4ggy or Ipithus then some screenshots would be handy to see what direction they were taking.

#34 2005-08-09 15:58:54

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

As far as I know there have been no results of the python based stuff - to be honest I'm not even sure if there were any plans even made smile

But, to clarify, no desperate need for srcpac right now.  We'll just rely on bandwidth to solve the problem.  It's a better solution really = more pressure on the mirrors than on the src server itself - which i guess is better...

Board footer