You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-12 03:55:51

Statix

Intel wireless: print_scanning_info: Allocation failed

With my intel wifi link 5100 agn laptop wireless card I'm unable to scan at my university due to there being too many networks.

iwlist scan returns:
print_scanning_info: Allocation failed

Since wicd uses iwlist and I primarily use wicd, this is a major problem for me. I can't access wireless at all.

The only useful link I've found is this:
http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/bugzi … le&id=1885
The referred to workaround patch may not help me since almost all the networks are already wpa, but I can't seem to apply it anyway. My wireless drivers are built into the kernel, and it refers to a iwlwifi package that does not exist on my system. My understanding is that is the package from before it was built into the kernel. I've looked in the kernel source and only see one of the files to be patched.

aircrack-ng still is able to see the networks and it almost seems to me like wireless_tools is the problem. However, according to this post it is the drivers? Anyone have any recommendations? I don't know of any other wireless tools that can scan.

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#2 2009-02-12 04:26:18

peart

Re: Intel wireless: print_scanning_info: Allocation failed

I just tried the patch in the bug report you linked to, and it does work.  Are you sure you have the right kernel sources?  The 3 files should be in $kernel_dir/net/mac80211, $kernel_dir = where you untarred the sources.

#3 2009-02-12 20:54:23

Statix

Ahh yeah I was using the old kernel. It applied with 2.6.28, thanks!

Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#4 2009-02-13 18:24:10

spicydonuts

I'm having the same problem.  My school uses hundreds of nodes with the same SSID within a 200 foot radius.  This patch doesn't make much sense to me, as the number of networks is only going to increase as time goes on.  Shouldn't there simply be a way to increase the buffer size?  I can connect fine if I use an external wireless card, but it runs on the same driver, so I believe the only difference is that it has a weaker antennae and doesn't pick up as many of the networks.

#5 2009-03-03 19:04:56

Statix

Yeah. While the patch applied for me it didn't solve the problem at all, and I still get it in many locations. If anyone knows of any other solution that'd be great.

#6 2009-06-30 19:01:52

aminehaddad

I am in this exact situation. My wireless card is intel 5100 and wicd will not list any networks because 'iwlist scan' tells me 'print_scanning_info: Allocation failed'. My friend is also having this problem with his laptop (he is running ArchLinux, and intel 4965 AGN). We have not been able to find a solution to this problem.

#7 2009-07-01 03:00:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Try wpa_supplicant?

#8 2009-07-04 06:52:36

aminehaddad

I have found a fix for this, and have created a package which patches wireless_tools (iwlist): http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=5800.

Thanks for the help!

#9 2009-07-13 05:27:07

aminehaddad

aminehaddad wrote:

I have found a fix for this, and have created a package which patches wireless_tools (iwlist): http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=5800.

Thanks for the help!

The package was deleted due to it's name being a duplicate of the original wireless_tools. I've filed a bug report for the issue (and attached the patch/package): http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15363

#10 2011-11-07 09:48:53

KeKeSeB

I've been also running in the same problem for quite some time. Usually, I also have wired connectivity, so I didn't look further, but today, I only had the wireless option.

I'm surprised that regarding this issue, nothing has changed in the past 2 1/2 years and that wireless tools 30, which fixes the problem is not available in AUR. Maybe this doesn't affect as much users I thought it would.

#11 2012-03-05 12:30:35

ntony

Will the package maintainer consider to patch iwlist to fix this problem?

Board footer