You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-06 08:36:41

Włóczymyśl
Website

Run 2nd system from the 1st one

I have Arch installed next to Windows 7 and I want to run Windows via e.g. Gnome Remote Desktop... can it be done?

#2 2012-03-06 09:22:04

DSpider

Re: Run 2nd system from the 1st one

There's a VNC wiki page but I'm not sure if they support Windows. What does the documentation for this "Gnome Remote Desktop" say? Did you even bother to google it?

This is what I would do:

Install VirtualBox, install MicroXP in a 1 GB VirtualBox container and run TeamViewer from there. The VM will probably run fine with as little as 256 MB RAM allocated. Alternatively, you could run it through Wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p … n&iId=5956 – says here that version 7 is "Silver" quality, which should be more than adequate. For other Windows-only VNC solutions check the AppDB page.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-03-06 09:49:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

DSpider wrote:

Did you even bother to google it?

Hint: RDP

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2012-03-06 09:52:25

Włóczymyśl
Website

I'm not sure but I guess you're typing about controlling one PC with another while both of my systems are on the same HDD and I'm generally using dual boot but I would prefer to just run Arch and then, if I would need it, run Windows within Linux. I don't want to have MicroXP or run it through some container, the Windowsis already installed and I want just to run it without need of restarting my  PC. I googled a bit but didn't find a thing... can I run the whole system via Wine?

#5 2012-03-06 10:29:14

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Virtualbox can run OSes off partitions. You're talking about virtual machines, google that. I've got the same setup running on my laptop (haven't booted windows in months though).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2012-03-06 10:34:29

Włóczymyśl
Website

so thanks!

#7 2012-03-06 11:27:43

hadrons123

You can try 'teamviewer'. It works on many platforms. It has helped me in a lot of situations.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#8 2012-03-06 14:08:28

Ahks

ngoonee wrote:

Virtualbox can run OSes off partitions. You're talking about virtual machines, google that. I've got the same setup running on my laptop (haven't booted windows in months though).

I didn't know this... that would simplify my life on a day to day. I end up needing IE about once a day for work. This would be much better than rebooting. Time to duckduckgo this...

But will the existing partition continue to be able to boot by itself? I still need it to be able to function fully as a native OS for 1 of my vendor tools for work.

Last edited by Ahks (2012-03-06 14:14:56)

#9 2012-03-06 14:29:32

DSpider

Just don't close the VM by saving its state to a file on the computer because when you boot into Windows (for real) it will be like the power was suddenly cut off. You will always have to close it by shutting it down (from the Windows start menu).

I probably wouldn't install Guest Additions either. Nor any specific video/audio drivers.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#10 2012-03-06 16:41:22

nomilieu

Ahks wrote:

But will the existing partition continue to be able to boot by itself? I still need it to be able to function fully as a native OS for 1 of my vendor tools for work.

Of course. I use qemu, but yeah, there's no reason for anything to get screwed up.
It's like hooking the hard drive up to different hardware. That's not going to make it fail to boot when you hook it back to the original hardware.

Board footer