You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-09 18:01:38

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Master/Slave woes

Disclaimer: I haven't had time to search the web or forum on this topic. I was hoping somebody would be kind enough to do these tasks for me. ahaha!

I'm trying to install a DVD writer for my sister. The system's configuration is two hard drives on Primary master and slave, CDROM drive on secondary master.

Simple -- set DVD writer to slave and install on secondary. No go. Ok, maybe its picky. Set it to master, set CDROM to slave, and install both on secondary... wonderful! I have the DVD writer installed. But the CDROM drive is not recognized. Damn.

It appears that both drives are only recognized when they are set to master, at least on the secondary cable. How the hell do I get around this?

Things I haven't tried:
- setting both drives to cable select
- moving the primary slave hard drive to secondary slave and seeing if I can get one of the optical drives to recognize as primary slave
- setting the two drives as primary and secondary masters

I'm sure the third option would work, but I really hate to do it because Windows doesn't like having its partition moved around, and I like to leave it on hda1, so I need that drive on primary master. Anybody have any ideas on the chances of the other options working. How about other ideas? I can't find anything in the BIOS... what should I look for? The system is from 2002, BTW.

I did verify that both connectors on the secondary IDE cable were working; either connector will pick up either drive as master. Just doesn't like slave.

Is there an easy-out option here, or am I doomed to moving data or trying other hardware? :-(

Dusty

#2 2005-08-09 18:07:52

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Master/Slave woes

-check the cables. maybe one of them has a bad slave connection section in it. (edit: hmm. you said both nodes work on the secondary cable?)
-make sure  you are putting the ribbon cable on right. master always goes on the end node on the ribbon.
mobo--->slave device--->master device

also. it is possible that they are different speed connection. ATA33 and ATA66 maybe. I don't know if that causes a problem or not. Most likely, they would both downgrade to the lowest connection speed. *shrug*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-08-09 18:12:32

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Both nodes work as master, yes.

I didn't know that about the items having to go in the correct order on the ribbon. I've tried both (all four, actually) configurations though. sad

I also just tried it with cable select and it only picked up the CDROM drive. I'll try swapping the nodes, but I doubt it will help. I guess neither drive wants to be secondary slave... what are the chances it would work as primary slave?

I guess I'll try putting an old 24x CDROM drive I have floating around here in it. :-/

Dusty

#4 2005-08-09 19:29:43

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Dusty wrote:

I guess neither drive wants to be secondary slave... what are the chances it would work as primary slave?

Slim to none. wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-08-09 19:31:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

the DVD writer can't read CDs? Why not just replace the CDROM altogether?

#6 2005-08-09 22:36:49

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Its sounds like you checked all the right things....
Have you checked your MB's website for a possible BIOS update that would cover that issue? It may be worth reflashing what you've already got or reseting the jumpers on the MB. Otherwise, to me, it sounds like a possible controller failure.

#7 2005-08-09 23:01:40

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

sort of solved. I set it up with the dvd writer as master and the CDROM as slave. BIOS only detected the dvd writer on master -- slave was 'not installed'. I went into the menu on the bios and manually set the slave type to 'CD ROM'. It can't autodetect the drive, but if I boot into Windows or Linux, both drives are available.

Go figure.

Dusty

Board footer