You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-07 00:07:37

contrasutra

working with zsh

Hey. Ive been playing around with zsh, and I really like it, more than BASH.

I set my default shell to zsh using "chsh". Unfortunatly, Ive been running into some problems, and hopefully you guys can help me.

1. Man pages look messed up. It shows a lot of "ESC" things all over man pages.

2. the /etc/profile doesnt seem to be executed. None of the env variables from it are set.

3. The "backspace" key doesnt work.

4.I set zsh to display colors when autocompleting things, and it only seems to colorize certain files, where BASH did many more. What is the environment variable for the color settings? I cant seem to find it.

5. Has anyone else changed their shell from BASH? What other things should I adjust to make me compatable.

Ive had to switch back to BASH until I can get these things worked out, so any help would be appreciated.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#2 2003-12-07 01:20:42

scottro
Website

Re: working with zsh

Some of it can be a bit complicated.  I remember the first time I looked at the man page, and thought I would make a good zsh prompt.  My prompt then appeared as

${PWD}

Oops.
That shell has some nice features though, including the ability to handle floating point decimals.  I haven't run into your particular problems, however.  I have my zsh prompt, put in my .zshrc which is where the shell looks (you might want to put things from your profile in there if they don't seem to be getting read) and colors work fine. I have a prompt based on Sarah's favorite distro, Gentoo's bash prompt, complete with girly-man colors

PS1=$'%{e[1;32m%}%n@%{e[1;34m%}%m %{e[1;36m%}%1d %{e[1;36m%}%#%{e[0m%} '

Don't know if that helps you at all

Scott

#3 2003-12-07 01:38:45

contrasutra

Sarah: Ive been there. Ive been playing around with "bindkey" for fixing the esc/delete problems, but I cant seem to get them both to work at the same time.

1. I got the /etc/profile thing to work. I run it from /etc/zshenv

2. Man pages still look messed up.

Sending me to a 100 page manual is not the answer.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#4 2003-12-07 02:57:01

contrasutra

Sarah, I can't believe some people call you condescending.  tongue

Yes, Im sure the answers are in the docs or mailing list, but that would be about 1000 pages worth of stuff to look through. That is very hard to do. If I could get a HINT, I may be able to do things the rest of the way.

#5 2003-12-07 06:12:26

contrasutra

Why thank you sarah. I didnt realize this problem was not zsh-specific. I was looking in the wrong places.

Taking your advice, I will solve the other problems myself. No one help me.  tongue

Board footer