You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-09 17:26:33

lagagnon
Website

[Solved] Lightweight print queue manager recommendations?

My wife uses fluxbox and is very happy with it, but she is not really a command line user. However, once in a while she needs to look at her print queue and sometimes delete a print job. lpq and lprm are out of the question, although I suppose I could write a bash script for her to do that easily. Also, I don't want to confuse her with the cups interface as this requires root login to delete print jobs.

Anyone know of a small print queue GUI manager that is lightweight and does not require a load of KDE or Gnome libraries? I don't see one in the AUR that is not KDE based.

Last edited by lagagnon (2012-03-10 00:04:52)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#2 2012-03-09 18:20:17

gaelic

Re: [Solved] Lightweight print queue manager recommendations?

Cups + localhost:631 is not sufficient?

#3 2012-03-09 19:03:01

lagagnon
Website

gaelic wrote:

Cups + localhost:631 is not sufficient?

That requires root login and root password to delete stuff on the queue.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#4 2012-03-09 19:32:45

brebs

lagagnon wrote:

That requires root login and root password to delete stuff on the queue.

Are you sure? Looks like /etc/cups/cupsd.conf can be tweaked, e.g.:

<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM susan
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM susan
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

Where the user you want to allow is named, of course, susan.

This is in cups 1.4.8, anyway.

#5 2012-03-09 21:23:14

skanky

This is similar to adding a printer. See this page of the Cups faq - http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L237+T+Qprintadmin

As I said in a different thread, I also added my logon to sys group which now means I can do anything with cups by entering my password. As I also pointed out, that may not be a good idea, and having a dedicated print management group as described in that article is probably better.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#6 2012-03-10 00:09:46

lagagnon
Website

brebs wrote:
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM susan
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

Where the user you want to allow is named, of course, susan.

Ok, thanks - just what I need.

Board footer