You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-09 15:20:03

ywarlock

[kernel] kernel update and third party modules management

Hi all,
        I turned to Archlinux with my new thinkpad X220 just for a few days, while I have used Ubuntu for 4 years. I had never controlled my system in such a degree, and feel happy about it.
       However, I have a question about kernel update, for I had install some modules from AUR with yaourt( e.g. tp_smapi, acpi_call). For my poor knowledge about pacman, I don't know how to handle those modules while I upgrade my kernel. I cannot remember to re-install all of them!
      I think there must be a solution that I didn't found, so I write this thread to ask for help.
      Any help would be appreciate.

#2 2012-03-09 15:29:02

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [kernel] kernel update and third party modules management

You can use some silly wrapper around pacman that rebuilds them when there is a kernel update. I'm sure someone has written one already.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2012-03-09 16:19:06

ywarlock

Mr.Elendig wrote:

You can use some silly wrapper around pacman that rebuilds them when there is a kernel update. I'm sure someone has written one already.

Thank you, Mr.Elendig. Do you mean some kind of frontend such as yaourt?
Or some kind of hooks like this:

aur/mkinitcpio-vbox 2.0-3 (Out of Date) (29)
    VirtualBox hook for mkinitcpio that rebuilds kernel modules on next reboot

Using the key words you provided, I searched " kernel upgrade module rebuild " and found that gentoo offically provide a tool called  "module-rebuild" to reinstall external modules. Maybe it's because gentoo always compile source code? But no other results.

However, now I found what I need to do is just to build the modules listed in the /etc/rc.conf, and that is acceptable. Maybe after a few weeks of study, I can find out my way to solve this problem.

And thanks for your reply.

Last edited by ywarlock (2012-03-09 16:20:36)

#4 2012-03-09 18:22:14

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

There are a few packages in the AUR that already do that, take a look at e.g. catalyst-hook.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2012-03-10 07:14:33

ywarlock

.:B:. wrote:

There are a few packages in the AUR that already do that, take a look at e.g. catalyst-hook.

Thank you, .:B:. ! I have taken a look at ctalyst-hook, and it is a good way to rebuild the driver's module.

I just rediscovered my demand, and found out that I only need to manager my modules( what have I install, etc ), since I am afraid of not start my hdaps to protect the hdd. And then I think I can rebuild my modules according to the rc.conf, and it can be an accecptable way. I want to do something more than that right after I know how these hooks function.

Arch makes me study, and that's why I like it.

Board footer