You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-10 11:34:41

civ247

Wierd problem starting gnome

Ok i have a slightly wierd problem. I wanted to install gnome 2.1 but i have no interent connection so i downloaded all the gnome related packages & their dependancies and installed them. I dont know exactly everything i installed but among others i installed the following and their dependancies:

gnome-applets
gnome-audio
gnome-backgrounds
gnome-blog
gnome-common
gnome-desktop
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-keyring
gnome-menus
gnome-panel
gnome-session
gnome-terminal
gnome-utils
gnome-vfs
gnome-volume-manager

I removed the exec entries for wmaker etc from the bottom of xinitrc files in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and /etc/skel/xinitrc and put in exec gnome-session. - I wasnt sure which was the default xinirc file.

The problem is that gnome does kindof start but i get some kind of a mutation between what you get from starting xinit and gnome. Basically the gnome desktop and panels start in little windows which is no good.

Is it that theres something i need to install and havent or something i need to uninstall to allow gnome to work properly or what am i doing wrong?

Cheers

Btw is any way to post a screenshot?

#2 2005-08-10 12:39:26

JimboP

Re: Wierd problem starting gnome

You need to alter the .xinitrc in your home directory - the following Wiki entries should help:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Des … structions

#3 2005-08-10 13:04:47

civ247

Re: Wierd problem starting gnome

There i no .xinitrc in the home directory by default, X defaults to one of the two i mentioned above - i didnt want to complicate things by putting one in my home directory.

Edit: Thanks though - i could have missed it.

Either way i finally go pacman to do pacman -S gnome and that fixed it. Must have been missing some package.

I get a proper gnome enviornment now but the terminal doesnt work and neither does nautilus. Trying to open the file manager crashes it removing icons from the desktop and the context menu.

Is this a common problem? Im thinking i might reinstall the whole thing because ive spent so much time messing around with it, bound to have broken something . . .

Board footer