You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-10 16:27:52

bonfire89

photo of an error / xmonad crash

Hey all,

I don't think I have enough detail to post an actual bug report https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Re … Guidelines but, I don't think what I have here is completely useless to the community either. So I am posting this image just in case it is relevant to someone out there on the interwebs.

I'm running xmonad and I believe at the time I was just surfing the web via firefox and had some terminals open elsewhere. Seemingly out of no where I was presented with the attached image. After, I simply loaded xmonad again and things worked fine.

I'm not an expert, I'm very new to arch, I'm not looking for a solution, I just wanted to put this photo out there. Feel free to suggest ways to do this better if you have any.

http://i.imgur.com/JgbOu.jpg

#2 2012-03-10 16:30:14

karol
Archivist

Re: photo of an error / xmonad crash

You should post text instead of a photo.

You're getting 'out of memory' error - any idea what might have caused this?
Do you have enough memory (RAM + swap)?

Last edited by karol (2012-03-10 16:43:33)

#3 2012-03-10 16:42:07

bonfire89

by any chance was there an easy way of getting that screen in a text format?

I can't think of why I would have ran out of memory. The amount of firefox tabs I had open wasn't excessive, maybe about 10, which is pretty normal for me. I don't have any custom scripts running, cronjobs etc except for one that connects me to wifi and set my screen resolution.

If it happens again I will most certainly follow up, but for the time being, I don't have much info.

#4 2012-03-10 16:45:18

karol
Archivist

If the websites you ware browsing were heavy on the multimedia (fullHD movies etc.) and you don't have enough RAM, it can crash your system.

The output should end up in some log. Even if it doesn't, you can copy the text to a file and post it here.

#5 2012-03-10 17:22:19

DSpider

This "plugin-container" thing smells like Flash to me too. Uninstalled flashplugin about 8 months ago and Firefox hasn't crashed on me since. You should know that Adobe announced that they're not going to support Flash on Linux anymore (Google may step up). Personally I think Flash is dead, especially since Youtube went with HTML5, but whatever...

by any chance was there an easy way of getting that screen in a text format?

Yes.

# startx &> .Xoutputlalala

This will create an ~/.Xoutputlalala file, which you can easily tail from a transparent terminal on your desktop (just an idea, or you can simply open it with any plain old text editor. Your choice).

PS: "Soyo". Nice... Good thing you blurred out the username and localhost too. Who knows how many FBI agents are on these forums. You may get hacked by the government. Good thinking.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#6 2012-03-10 17:29:35

karol
Archivist

DSpider wrote:

This "plugin-container" thing smells like Flash to me too. Uninstalled flashplugin about 8 months ago and Firefox hasn't crashed on me since. You should know that Adobe announced that they're not going to support Flash on Linux anymore

OT, but Flash will still be getting security updates for the next 5 years: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1062266

Last edited by karol (2012-03-10 17:30:15)

#7 2012-03-10 17:34:37

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

OT

Would that be Ontopic or Offtopic? wink

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#8 2012-03-10 17:37:58

karol
Archivist

litemotiv wrote:
karol wrote:

OT

Would that be Ontopic or Offtopic? wink

Sir, I meant it to mean 'off-topic', sir.

bonfire89, can you post the output of 'free -m'?

#9 2012-03-10 17:43:16

bonfire89

karol wrote:

If the websites you ware browsing were heavy on the multimedia (fullHD movies etc.) and you don't have enough RAM, it can crash your system.

The output should end up in some log. Even if it doesn't, you can copy the text to a file and post it here.

How do you copy text that appeared in the terminal?

DSpider wrote:

This "plugin-container" thing smells like Flash to me too. Uninstalled flashplugin about 8 months ago and Firefox hasn't crashed on me since. You should know that Adobe announced that they're not going to support Flash on Linux anymore (Google may step up). Personally I think Flash is dead, especially since Youtube went with HTML5, but whatever...

I could see it being flash, wouldn't surprise me, but flash isn't entirely dead, and not all of youtube is available in html5

DSpider wrote:
# startx &> .Xoutputlalala

This will create an ~/.Xoutputlalala file, which you can easily tail from a transparent terminal on your desktop (just an idea, or you can simply open it with any plain old text editor. Your choice).

not a bad idea, thanks!

DSpider wrote:

PS: "Soyo". Nice... Good thing you blurred out the username and localhost too. Who knows how many FBI agents are on these forums. You may get hacked by the government. Good thinking.

Was that really necessary? I'm considering the Arch community as a whole, despite not knowing a lot, and you make fun of me?

#10 2012-03-10 17:51:08

bonfire89

free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2007       1117        890          0         40        510  
-/+ buffers/cache:        566       1440
Swap:         2000         49       1950

its an older system

#11 2012-03-10 17:52:22

DSpider

Eh, I'm just pulling your leg a little. I mostly meant it as a joke but there was some truth in it too. wink

I'm aware that not *all* of Youtube is converted (yet). They're getting rarer each day but for those that absolutely require Flash, I use clipgrab from the AUR and run them locally with SMPlayer or VLC. I know there's a way to use mplayer to run them straight from the browser but I just can't be bothered... Very little content from Youtube interests me. Something like 98% of stuff there is garbage.

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#12 2012-03-10 17:57:11

karol
Archivist

bonfire89 wrote:
free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2007       1117        890          0         40        510  
-/+ buffers/cache:        566       1440
Swap:         2000         49       1950

its an older system

I can see you're already using swap, even though you have some free RAM (at least at the time of the measurement).

bonfire89 wrote:

How do you copy text that appeared in the terminal?

You can e.g. install and configure gmp gpm - a mouse server for the console (and xterm too) - and copy text by selecting it.

Edit: typo.

Last edited by karol (2012-03-10 18:49:59)

#13 2012-03-10 18:38:13

DSpider

Simply select the text and paste it with the middle mouse button. Can't get any easier than that.

#14 2012-03-10 18:51:44

karol
Archivist

DSpider wrote:

Simply select the text and paste it with the middle mouse button. Can't get any easier than that.

Can you do it w/o gpm? As this package is not in the base group, it's not installed by default.

#15 2012-03-10 20:50:25

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

screen/tmux has a nice copy/paste mode too.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer