You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-15 04:50:47

Bongiornor

I need a lot of help

Hi,everyone
I am a Newbie,and I'm gonna crazy :-(

I even can't install any desktop environment,(i can only use fvwm),
i've installed xfce4 and lxde,but when i startxfce4 the screen only flashed and leave a mouse point on a black screen. startlxde even didn't give me a reaction,

what's worse,
there are a lot of software have problem to get start.
such as:

i installed firefox,but it doesn't work and leave a message of:
(firefox:12357): GLib-WARNING **: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR variable not set.  Falling back to XDG cache dir.
firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so: undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual

evolution
evolution: symbol lookup error: evolution: undefined symbol: g_unix_signal_add_full

geany
geany: symbol lookup error: geany: undefined symbol: gdk_window_create_similar_surface

winefish
winefish: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

it seems all these have relation with GTK,
but the gtk gtk2 gtk3 is already the newest.

i'm gonna crazy
can anybody help me?
thanks

#2 2012-03-15 05:03:07

/dev/zero

Re: I need a lot of help

You have too much of a problem for anyone to sit here and walk you through every little thing. Being a newbie is really no excuse for just plain biting off more than you can chew all at once. You're like a mouse trying to eat an entire cheese factory.

I suggest scale it back and take a more organised approach to your problem solving. If xfce is your priority, then make xfce your priority. That means forget about the rest until you have xfce set up how you want.

#3 2012-03-15 05:16:05

ewaller
Administrator

We need to see your Xorg logs. 

Install community/wgetpaste.
Run wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log to post the log to paste.pocoo.org. 
Post the link that wgetpaste gives you in this thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2012-03-15 05:34:34

Bongiornor

Thanks for your advice.
I am sure that the xfce had already started,but it just leave a black screen.
Is there any way to fix it?

#5 2012-03-15 05:40:27

Bongiornor

ewaller wrote:

We need to see your Xorg logs. 

Install community/wgetpaste.
Run wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log to post the log to paste.pocoo.org. 
Post the link that wgetpaste gives you in this thread.

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/565879/

#6 2012-03-15 23:16:19

cfr

Can you start X with twm etc.? i.e. test it as described in the beginners' guide. Or did you check that as recommended before installing xfce etc.?

Which video drivers do you have installed? It looks as if you have intel and that's what should be used. If you have any others, uninstall them so you've just got intel.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#7 2012-03-16 02:19:10

ewaller
Administrator

Actually, those logs look pretty good.
Let me look at a couple things and I'll get back later this evening.

Edit:  Okay, this just makes no sense.  Before we dig deeper, I note that you are new to Arch. (Welcome, by the way).  I am wondering if you have made the classic mistake of performing a partial update.  Try:

pacman -Syu

as root.  Then try startxfce4 again.

Last edited by ewaller (2012-03-16 03:00:44)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer