You are not logged in.

#26 2011-10-10 02:23:44

sironitomas
Website

Re: GNOME3: Ugly mouse cursors

hooya wrote:

Even with the index.theme file my cursors are inconsistent at best. Text select, hoverover link, move, icons all work, but the regular pointer stays default ugly black pointer.

Sometimes it decides to start working randomly though. There seems to be no reasoning when the selected theme cursor decides to work.

By changing the Inherits line to my mouse cursor theme though, it'll work correctly (after a shell restart)

Exactly the same here, packaging should be better though...

#27 2011-11-13 11:26:21

kennym
Website

dradius wrote:

I did not have a /usr/share/icons/default folder, all I had to do was copy the folder for the theme I wanted to /usr/share/icons/default.

This also worked for me. :-)

Kenny

...and of course: FU Gnome 3 haters

#28 2011-12-01 23:44:02

gihan

Found the solution to the gnome3 inconsistent cursor problem. The reason is that cursor-themes are maintained both in gsettings and gconf, change both settings and off you go complete cursors all the time. Thanks guys for helping me get there.

gsetttings -> org.gnome.desktop.interface.cursor-theme
gconf -> desktop.gnome.peripherals.mouse.cursor-theme

Hopefully everything will migrate onto gsettings.

Cheers

debian wheezy

#29 2011-12-20 06:34:29

wyao

gihan's solution works.
I have used the gnome-tweak-tool to set the theme, but after each logout, the theme would change back the x-cursor.
I used "gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme" to retrieve the value, it was OK.
But in the gconf-editor, the type of key " desktop.gnome.peripherals.mouse.cursor-theme" is INTEGER, so I followed @gihan suggestion, and change that to a string with the gsetting's name. And the problem solved.

#30 2012-02-12 00:25:10

AncientPC

I'm coming from a clean vanilla installation trying to get aero cursors working. This is what I did to fix the issue:

• downloaded aero cursor theme (white Window cursors) from gnome-look.org

• uncompressed to /usr/share/icons/aero/

• Ran gnome-tweak-tool, chose aero. I had black normal cursor in Chrome,  all other cursors were white (hourglass, etc). It gave me the opposite in Firefox (white normal cursor, black hourglass cursor).

• I forced it to use default aero cursor by running: ln -s /usr/share/icons/aero/ ~/.icons/default/

• Log back in, working!

Hopefully this helps others out.

#31 2012-03-16 20:15:43

teateawhy
Website

AncientPC wrote:

I'm coming from a clean vanilla installation trying to get aero cursors working. This is what I did to fix the issue:

• downloaded aero cursor theme (white Window cursors) from gnome-look.org

• uncompressed to /usr/share/icons/aero/

• Ran gnome-tweak-tool, chose aero. I had black normal cursor in Chrome,  all other cursors were white (hourglass, etc). It gave me the opposite in Firefox (white normal cursor, black hourglass cursor).

• I forced it to use default aero cursor by running: ln -s /usr/share/icons/aero/ ~/.icons/default/

• Log back in, working!

Hopefully this helps others out.

Thanks a lot.

doing
ln -s /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/ ~/.icons/default
works for the Standard Adwaita cursors!
One hint:
You do not have to log in and out, simply type alt + f2 for entering a command and use 'r' command for restarting the shell.
This method does not affect the application icons at all, only cursors. Well done.

#32 2012-03-22 02:20:48

AncientPC

teateawhy wrote:

Thanks a lot.

doing
ln -s /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/ ~/.icons/default
works for the Standard Adwaita cursors!
One hint:
You do not have to log in and out, simply type alt + f2 for entering a command and use 'r' command for restarting the shell.
This method does not affect the application icons at all, only cursors. Well done.

I'm clean installing Arch on another machine today.

When I was troubleshooting cursors, restarting the shell changed all cursors except the normal one. I still have to log out / log in to completely change all cursors.

Board footer