You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-17 00:21:38

Pat55word

[solved] Incorrect Screen Resolution on Boot

As the title suggests my screen has the incorrect resolution on boot. I have an Nvidia card with two monitors plugged into it.

After installing arch I found that screen was blank on boot. This could be fixed in two ways.

• Unplugging one monitor from the graphic's card DVI output and plugging it into the motherboard's DVI output. This gave me the correct resolution but if It would require me to reconnect the monitor to the graphics card after I logged in and started X (configured to use twinview with nvidia)

• Adding 'nomodeset' to the end of the my kernel line. This option will not require me to reconnect one monitor but uses an incorrect resolution

The second option is what I am currently using. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to fix the resolution whilst retaining the convenience of not unplugging my monitor.

Last edited by Pat55word (2012-03-17 01:03:25)

#2 2012-03-17 00:27:43

Gusar

Re: [solved] Incorrect Screen Resolution on Boot

Sounds like you have the internal graphics activated in the bios even though you use a dedicated Nvidia card. If I were you, I'd deactivate the internal graphics.

Then we come to the resolution. The nvidia driver does not handle the console, so you'll have tp use either vesafb or uvesafb for it. They generally work ok, but they're limited to resolutions in your card's vbios, and in many cases the resolution you want isn't there.
Do a search on the forums and the wiki about (u)vesafb, there's plenty written about them.

Last edited by Gusar (2012-03-17 00:28:38)

#3 2012-03-17 01:03:03

Pat55word

Re: [solved] Incorrect Screen Resolution on Boot

Thanks. You are correct that the resolution I wanted (1600x1200) wasn't available. I decided to append 'vga=773' (1024x768) to the kernel line (whilst retaining nomodeset) so that on start up I'd be able to use a decent amount of my screen before starting X. I will mark this topic as solved. Thanks again for you help.

Board footer