You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-05 00:33:21

Too many Rescheduling interrupts and too short battery time

Hi everybody,

my laptop runs much too short on battery as it normaly should (ubuntu worked much better (only) in this point). I'm pretty shure that it is related to a software problem. as I ran powertop I saw that the point "[Rescheduling interrupts] <kernel IPI>" causes aproximately 1000 wakeups per second. I looked this up and found out that this is way above the normal value. So I read a little and tried to boot the system with the kernel options acpi=noirq, noapic, nolapic and acpi=off (everytime one of them). The last two worked and the wakeups seemed normal. But the time the laptop ran on battery didn't seem to change. So it also seems that it is somehow related to acpi but turning it off also doesn't help improving the time of the laptop running on battery. Might a new ACPI configuration help to solve the problem as mentioned here (the article is a little old) : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Resch … Interrupts ? There are also many bug reports but I didn't find anything helpfull reading them. Does anybody know this problem or ,much more important, knows a solution or at least a hint?

The laptop is a Dell XPS M1330 with Bios A15. So as far as I know it is up to date. I mention this because there appeared to be cases where an old Bios caused the problem.

If you need more information related to the case I'd be glad to post it. Just ask.

Thanks for reading and hopefully answering!

#2 2011-11-09 20:06:03

Re: Too many Rescheduling interrupts and too short battery time

I just found the program that causes my problem: It is (was) conky!

I tried this before but maybe I didn't kill it right so I found it out when I installed i3 and messed around with it. When I know the exact line(s) of my conkyrc that causes/are causing this problem I'll post it/them.

Last edited by 1984 (2011-11-09 20:07:14)

#3 2011-11-10 22:33:49

It seems that conky can't communicate on my system without this many wakeups. There was no real line which was the trigger for the problem. So now I use "delightful" of "awesome wm".

#4 2012-02-19 06:19:54

nachiappan

Hi All,

I am facing the same problem as described in the post. Does some one have a solution ?
When the battery is fully charged it says 4hrs and after an hour the battery gets down to 25%.
When i run powertop, [Rescheduling interrupts] <kernel IPI> always tops the list. Is that killing the battery ?

#5 2012-02-27 10:48:49

t1nk3r3r

nachiappan wrote:

...When the battery is fully charged it says 4hrs and after an hour the battery gets down to 25%...

It depends on what you're doing during that hour.  The 4 hrs is really an estimate based on system load.
If during that hour it was idling, then it's time to really pay attention to what keeps bugging the system. 
It also is of interest how you're getting this estimate.
In powertop, you want to notice 'Wakeups-from-idle per second'.  If it's unusually high, then see what tops the list and research how to lower the wakeups.

With conky: 200-500+ wakeups (in powertop)
w/o conky: <200

I get [rescheduling interrupts] as well.  It's such a general term that it could be many things....

--------------------------The only wasted day is one in which you learn nothing.--------------------------

#6 2012-03-11 12:51:09

enricostn

Hi,

I have the same issue here.

I have just noticed that if I run my machine without X then in powertop the Rescheduling Interrupts Kernel Ipi is like 7% in idle...

Could it help?

Looking at Top results doesn-t help to detect the cause of that, In idle I have no packages running more than 0%-1%

Thank you for the help

#7 2012-03-15 18:35:50

Hey,

have you tried starting X with another window manager or is it the same with all window managers? This would be an interesting piece of information. For me it helped "building" a new desktop environment and slowly adding all the programs I used before and always watching the system with powertop.

#8 2012-03-17 09:21:05

t1nk3r3r

Have you seen:  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1045475  ?

What hardware powersaving features are in effect?

Powertop is a good tool, but don't rely on it alone...

--------------------------The only wasted day is one in which you learn nothing.--------------------------

Board footer