You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-11 16:44:17

fredp

Doesn't Nautilus depend on up-to-date startup-notification?

Hi everybody, it's just a few days I installed ArchLinux but I already made it the default choiche in grub. Just wonderful, everything just works, and pacman is great.

Btw, I installed nautilus 2.10.1-1 (I think it is the most recent in the "current" repository) but when I tried to start it, I had this problem: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/sh … ?id=157416 (sorry for posting a link to a rival distro  smile )

And, as said there, upgrading startup-notification to 0.8-1 solved the problem. I see that startup-notification is required by gnome-desktop, but this is not a dependency for nautilus, so, if you have a not-so-up-to-date and quite incomplete gnome setup, it can turn out to have a non-working nautilus.

Hoping to have been clear enough, I would ask if it isn't better to add startup-notification>=0.8 to nautilus dependencies. Wouldn't it be right?

Bye, Federico

Ps: I wish you excused me if my English isn't that good, but, you know, I'm still studying it at school here in Italy :?

#2 2005-08-11 17:49:16

JGC
Developer

Re: Doesn't Nautilus depend on up-to-date startup-notification?

Your english is good enough, didn't detect any error on first read wink

Nautilus depends on gnome-desktop, which in turn depends on startup-notification. We don't do versioned dependencies most of the times, only in special cases when we rebuild libraries that are not compatible with old ones.
For nautilus, we just assume that you update startup-notification together with nautilus, so it shouldn't be a problem. When using software from extra, it's always advised to keep the whole system up to date.

#3 2005-08-12 14:02:15

fredp

Re: Doesn't Nautilus depend on up-to-date startup-notification?

JGC wrote:

Your english is good enough, didn't detect any error on first read wink

Glad to know this, thanks big_smile

JGC wrote:

Nautilus depends on gnome-desktop, which in turn depends on startup-notification. We don't do versioned dependencies most of the times, only in special cases when we rebuild libraries that are not compatible with old ones.
For nautilus, we just assume that you update startup-notification together with nautilus, so it shouldn't be a problem. When using software from extra, it's always advised to keep the whole system up to date.

Yes, now it's clear big_smile

But updating more than 200 mb of packages with a 56k modem (yes, Italy...) is not the best way to spend my money, so I'll try to update only the few packages I need whenever there's some problem.

Than you very much

Fred

Board footer